Topic

15% off at REI

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Commerce Gear Deals 15% off at REI

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Henry Liu

@henryliu

This is probably old news but if you sign up on the mailing list they give you 15% off almost anything at REI!

This is great as I missed out on the 20% off sale and need a new sleeping bag. Anyone know how often the 20% off comes along? Thanks.

EndoftheTrail
    BPL Member

@ben2world-2

If I remember correctly, 20% off coupons come three times a year:

1. Late Feb / early Mar — comes with your annual dividends statement.

2. Early May

3. September — around Labor Day (?)

Henry Liu

@henryliu

So does the 20% off always come 3x a year for the last few years? Always interesting to know…

At least this way you can always get at least 15% anytime.

Richard Scruggs
    BPL Member

@jrscruggs

Locale: Oregon

While I have certainly not engaged in the following practice (and do not support it), I have heard a reliable report that some folks arrange for their pets join REI so that they can multiply the pretty generous advantages of REI membership — which could include REI's email and annual discounts, no doubt. If pets can join, how long before a tree in someone's backyard can become a member?

Talk about a slippery slope!!

JRS

Henry Liu

@henryliu

Well the only thing REI has is the REI type brands. Their -20deg bag is a very good deal. For everything else, 20% really doesn't mean much. If you buy from moabsports.com you regularly get 30% off list price and free shipping/no tax. I bought several things from there and it was lower regular price than with REI's 20% off.

Can't beat REI's return policy though for things that might break.

EndoftheTrail
    BPL Member

@ben2world-2

Richard:

If I remember correctly, REI doesn't care how many 'memberships' an individual has. There's no need to enroll pets, trees, or even to make up names! REI is happy to collect those fifteen dollars upfront.

But Henry is right. Online outfitters frequently have sales. 20% is just nice, not spectacular. Add to that, REI prices tend to be higher than some.

In a way, store selection is like gear selection — picking the right tools for the task at hand. For me, I shop at REI for big-ticket items on sale that I want to try but am not 100% sure. REI's warranty and service are pretty hard to beat. But for the rest of the stuff, I tend to just shop around for price.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools