Topic

First impressions on some new stuff (for me)

  • This topic is empty.
Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
PostedSep 1, 2013 at 9:30 pm

Went on a short overnighter last weekend and tried a bunch of gear I had never used before. So this is simply a first impression on some new (for me) gear. Those looking for some full on review please move along, nothing to see here…. This was a short trip, I didn't really 'test' any of the gear.

First up, a 50 degree Enlightened Equipment Enigma quilt. Yes, I know, EE doesn't sell an Enigma quilt, and they don't sell a 50 degree quilt. This was Tim's prototype that he let me borrow for this and an upcoming trip. Then I hope to convince him to make me one…. :-) So, this is Tim's quilt, they're not for sale (yet anyway), but I think it's a great design and it worked wonderfully for the night I had it out. I hope he adds it to his offerings.

Temps got to around the low 50s, and this quilt kept me plenty toasty just loosely draped over me (and even pushed down off my chest for part of the night) in my hammock. It's built for Tim, so it's about 5" longer and wider than I need, and it still only weighs 10 oz. I know he used water resistant down (don't know what flavor) but forget what the shell material is. It's unique design has continuous side baffles than run down to the footbox, across the footbox and back up the other side. This allows you to push down away from the side and down to the footbox area if your feet need a bit of extra warmth. The down did not shift at all in the baffles on my chest/abdomen. I really, really like this quilt.

.quilt

The pic doesn't show it, but all three horizontal footbox baffles have continuous baffles up both sides/underneath as well. The footbox is a sewn footbox.

Next, my new Elemental Horizons Kalais pack. I had mine made all dyneema. Really like this pack. I packed heavy on purpose just to see how this pack would carry with a load (I didn't weigh the load, never do, but I was carrying about 1.5 pounds of field projector equipment [we enjoyed Wolfman Meets Frankenstein after it got dark] and two cold beers and a full frozen water bottle, discussed later). This pack does the best job of transferring weight to my hips of any of the many packs I've owned over the last few years. I really like the double-draw hip belt. Plenty of room in this pack, of course. I've been thinking about a JMT hike with no resupply, this is the pack I'll use for that hike.

.kalais

I picked up an Arc'teryx Nuclei hoody and took it on this trip for wear around camp after the temps dropped. Comfortable jacket, has hand pockets which I like, hood fits well, was nice and warm at 55 degrees after dark. I wore it to 'bed' and took it off in less than 10 minutes as it and the quilt were way too warm together. This jacket could easily go under 50 degrees, I'll find out how far in the months ahead. Overall, I'm impressed with it on its first night out.

.nuclei hoody

Cold beer. And I mean ice cold beer. I bought one of those Escape Pods from Simple Outdoor Store (makers of Outsak). This thing really works. I put an insulated cycling bottle full of water in the freezer overnight, and then loaded that and two cold beers from the fridge (boy, the Old Chub Scotch Ale is a fine beverage) into the pod, put it at the top of my pack, and headed off into the woods. It was a fairly short hike – we started around noon or so and hit camp by 3 I think. After chatting with another group for a bit, I put my pack down and pulled out the beer. It was still ice cold. Really. Not just cool or a bit cold, but ice cold. The insulated bottle was still frozen. That cold beer went down really, really nicely!

.escape pod

I got a new pair of Locus Gear CP3 flicklock poles from a BPL member and used them for the first time on this trip. They worked well after I tightened up the flick lock mechanisms. One pole slipped a bit before I did that, but it's an easy trail fix if you have something to use as a screwdriver. I see he's got a new fliplock mechanism on the most recent poles, not sure what he changed. I like these poles, and would use them whenever I was using my Lightheart Gear Solo shelter, as these poles are just easier to adjust the height on than my GG LT4s. But I'll probably continue using the LT4s for most of my hiking now that I'm back to using a hammock for most of my trips.

.poles

Lastly, my TrailLite Designs cuben dog bowl. I don't hike with my pup, I actually got the bowl to use as a wash-up basin. And it worked well for this purpose. I got the large, but would probably get the small, the large is really big! It's a simple design, very light of course, and holds its shape well when filled with water. I used it to take a quick sponge bath away from water sources, it would also work well for washing dishes and such. For those looking for a lightweight bowl for their pups, you can't do much better than this. And for those who like to have a wash basin kinda thing, you can't do much better than this. I'll be taking it on all my trips. Might even start bringing a bit of Dr. Bronners with me on longer trips.

.bowl

Alaskaoneday BPL Member
PostedSep 1, 2013 at 10:50 pm

I love the dog bowl idea. I'm going to have to check that out.
(OK, what tarp is hanging over your Blackbird?)

Peter S BPL Member
PostedSep 2, 2013 at 12:18 am

Hi Doug, that was a good first impression post. I've just ordered poles from Locus Gear, so glad to hear you like yours. Thanks.

Ito Jakuchu BPL Member
PostedSep 2, 2013 at 1:46 am

Very interested in that Kalais pack. If you have time, could you tell a bit more about how it compares to some of the other packs you have used (regarding volume, suspension/carrying comfort)?

PostedSep 2, 2013 at 6:56 am

Like that pack and thanks for the impressions.

Would have been nice to use a clothing model who smiled but I understand those cost more per hour.

Gary Dunckel BPL Member
PostedSep 2, 2013 at 7:28 am

That was a cool post, Doug. Who would've known that you were an Old Chub sort of guy? Those Escape Pods are pretty slick, don't you think? So is the rest of the gear you showed.

PostedSep 2, 2013 at 7:58 am

"Would have been nice to use a clothing model who smiled but I understand those cost more per hour."

Significantly more! And you have to fly them in….

PostedSep 2, 2013 at 8:01 am

"(OK, what tarp is hanging over your Blackbird?)"

Actually, that was new too. zPacks cuben hammock tarp with doors. Nice and light. And you can see the moon through it, which I quite enjoy. And under the hammock is my cuben EE hammock under quilt. As toasty an underquilt as I'll ever need.

.tarp

PostedSep 2, 2013 at 8:06 am

"If you have time, could you tell a bit more about how it compares to some of the other packs you have used (regarding volume, suspension/carrying comfort)?"

Hi Ito,

I haven't had it long enough to give much more info, I need to get it out on a longer trip where I'm carrying it all day (have a 2-day, 40-miler weekend after next, that will give me a much better idea if I use it).

I'm not a specs guy, so I never really compare specs between stuff. This pack is big enough to be my winter pack (now giving my HMG 3400 Windrider some competition) and was very comfortable on the short trip I did last weekend.

Tim Marshall BPL Member
PostedSep 2, 2013 at 9:15 am

I'll fill in a couple of the blanks on the Quilt. The DWR down I'm using is 850 Fill Downtek. The fabric on this is my current 10D NB1 Liner and NB2 Shell.

Im interviewing some new 10Ds to move forward with and we'll see which ones end up on the quilt.

This quilt will fit to 6'4" is 58" wide and uses 5oz of down for a 10.05oz final weight, not including straps or stuff sack (maybe .5oz for straps and sack is less)

The sizing will be tweaked a little so it matches my current size models but using the sewn footbox instead of the drawcorded one. I will offer my full array of sizes and temps in this style but there will likely be no X version for some time if ever.

-Tim

PostedSep 2, 2013 at 10:03 am

I'm ready to try the vertical baffle design on the quilt. My single biggest problem with continuous horizontal baffles is shifting of the down while I sleep. Each time I change sleeping positions my body and arms move down to the sides of the bag like the agitator on a washing machine. Be the wee coldest hours of the night most of the down is on the sides and I have two layers of nylon on top of me. Not good. I'm cold.

I've always used a 20 degree rated bag but am now motivated to toy with things a bit. I'm always in a mostly fabric tent under a fly so I can usually count on a windless inner environment that is warmer than the outside air.

For example, I just returned from a week in Washington's Glacier Peak Wilderness and the night time outside-the-tent lows ranged from 44 to 52 degrees F at 6000 feet. This quilt probably would have worked just fine.

Ito Jakuchu BPL Member
PostedSep 3, 2013 at 4:08 am

Cheers, it might be a bit more volume than I need – although it seems to have great compression capabilities..

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
Loading...