Topic

platypus water scoop–did I do it wrong?

  • This topic is empty.
Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
Diane Pinkers BPL Member
PostedSep 1, 2013 at 5:19 pm

I have converted to a Sawyer squeeze, used with an Evernew 1.5 L dirty water bottle. I sacrificed a Platypus bag as a water scoop, as per some suggestions on this web-site. The bag is cut at an angle, supposedly to create a narrow pouring tip to facilitate getting water into the bottle. However, I find that I have a hard time pouring water from the tip-it pours water all over the outside of the dirty water bottle, my hand that is holding it, anything else nearby. The tip is on the seam. I actually pour better from the side of the bottle. Was the pointy tip supposed to be on the side, not the seam? I swear in the video I saw on the Aquamira gravity feed system that the point was on the seam side, but maybe I'm wrong?

PostedSep 1, 2013 at 5:27 pm

Not sure about a video, but I also use a cut off platy for a water scoop. I didn't cut it at an angle, though, just straight across at about the 1.3 liter mark (to hold a liter of water). When I pour into the dirty water bottle, I pour from the side, not the seam. I hold/lightly pinch one side which forms a 'spout' on the other. I pour slowly. Never have any issues.

Steven Paris BPL Member
PostedSep 1, 2013 at 5:36 pm

I had one that I cut at an angle but like better a Nalgene cantene that I cut straight across. I think I pour from the seam w/o any trouble but I'll have to try it at home to double-check.

The reason I like the straight cut is that you can also use it as a small "sink" in camp.

PostedSep 1, 2013 at 7:11 pm

I cut the small crappy bag that came with the squeeze – straight across and I also just pinch it together to form a spout. Works like a champ.

Diane Pinkers BPL Member
PostedSep 2, 2013 at 11:42 am

So, I like the notion of using it as a sink–multi-purpose. I have taken to carrying a folding dog water bowl, similar to this . It sounds like I could eliminate that with the platypus cut-off water bag. I use the sink to take a quick sponge bath, so it should work for that (not much different than swimming), but what about other camp chores–clearly, you wouldn’t want to wash dishes in it. I do use it for washing hands comprehensively, complete with soap and a very small nail brush, before preparing food at dinner time. Would the soap “decontaminate” the bowl sufficiently? Currently, I’m using filtered water for this task–not very much of it, just enough to have a little in the bottom of the bowl to swish around.

Is there any problem with having a camp “sink” as part of your dirty water system?

PostedSep 2, 2013 at 12:02 pm

I wouldn’t think the cut off platy would be large enough to use as a sink.

A great backcountry sink is the TrailLite Designs cuben dog bowl! I use mine as my camp sink (using filtered water) and it works wonderfully.

Dale Wambaugh BPL Member
PostedSep 2, 2013 at 12:10 pm

If you want a sink, just cut the bottom off a milk jug, leaving 3"-4" sides. It won't take much room in your pack after being stuffed with odds and ends and the weight is good. The gallon size is great for small laundry and sponge baths as well as kitchen chores or a dog dish

Diane Pinkers BPL Member
PostedSep 2, 2013 at 12:26 pm

Ha! Trust you, Doug, to find a cuben fiber dog bowl!
It's not a bad idea, although what I have is pretty light. I was more thinking of multi-use, reducing number of items, etc. That's what was attracting me to the idea of using the water scoop as a sink as well. I'm not ultralight, but gradually I'm reducing both weight and volume of stuff. I still have a little problem with extra fiddly bits, but I'm trying!

David Thomas BPL Member
PostedSep 2, 2013 at 12:51 pm

The bottom of an HDPE milk jug that Dale mentions functions as a dog bowl, kitchen sink, oatmeal bowl, all-purpose eating plate, and water scoop.

The amount of rinsing or decontamination you do in between those uses are left to the reader.

On family trips, I stack several milk-jug bottoms together.

Steven Paris BPL Member
PostedSep 2, 2013 at 1:52 pm

I think the word "sink" maybe was wrong. I can't really fit things inside to wash, so much as its a little bit of water you can dip a bandana into or pour over your hands when washing that can be next to a shelter, rather than walking back down to a creek.

But, the Cantene I cut up was at least a 48oz model, so a larger base than some bladders.

I like the cuben dog bowl, Doug. That looks like a clever item to have along.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
Loading...