Topic

Elemental Horizons Kalais feedback

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Elemental Horizons Kalais feedback

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Alex H
    BPL Member

@abhitt

Locale: southern appalachians or desert SW

I am looking hard at this pack and while there are a few high profile, excellent, reviews (Will Rietveld and Sgt. Rock) there are very few other user comments about it. I know Anna, and Charles and a few others here have made a comment here and there on different pack threads.

My two main questions besides looking for any and all input/reviews are
    1. Matthew offers a lumbar pad option and says that it has become a popular addition but does anyone here have the lumbar pad and what do you think? Needed or not, good or bad?

2. How has the 70d ripstop pack body held up. I am thinking about going all Dyneema X especially for the harsher desert trips. I will for sure get the Dyneema X side pocket option instead of mesh.

Any other opinions? I know that is a loaded question here ;)

BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

Locale: The Cascades

What size are you?

Alex H
    BPL Member

@abhitt

Doug is that a loaded question?

I am at the top end of their large, torso measures 21.5-22".

Paul Andronico
    BPL Member

@jakesandwich

Locale: Lake Tahoe

I ordered the large Kalais a while back based on my measurements, and got the lumbar pad because my previous Deuter pack had one. While I don't mind the lumbar pad on the Deuter, I found it really uncomfortable on the Kalais loaded up and walking around the house. I did not try it for an extended period because the pack size was just too large for me. The dual pull hip belt felt fantastic. I really think he is on to something there. I ended up returning the pack and seriously considered trying a medium without the lumbar pad. The GG Gorilla I tried at the same time, however, fit me well. It also has less volume than the Kalais and fits my 3-season kit better. So I just kept the Gorilla. Matthew from EH was great to work with, and I will give the medium a try if I start backpacking in the winter or need to carry a larger bear canister. Even in my house the Kalais felt like it would be a great load hauler.

Good luck on your search!

Gerard Nervig
    BPL Member

@acanthus

Locale: The center of it all

I have put on over 500 miles on the Kalais pack this summer in the Beartooths, the Bighorns, and the Windriver Range. Will be off to the Tetons next week. The pack is extremely comfortable at 25 to 30 pounds and you don't even know it is there at 20. It has just the right amount of space for me on an extended trip using an Ursak for food but will also fit a bear canister. I have had no wear problems at all with the mesh pockets or the standard nylon.

The belt is very comfortable, as are the shoulder straps. I see no need for an additional lumbar pad. The large hip pockets just the right size. I can really find nothing wrong with this pack and would highly recommend it.

Alex H
    BPL Member

@abhitt

Thanks for the insights so far, must be more out there. Maybe everyone was all out over the holiday weekend using their Kalais packs.

James DeGraaf
    BPL Member

@jdegraaf

Locale: Bay Area

I have one in hot pink! And it is the most comfortable pack for weights between 25-30lbs. I did not get the lumbar pad and have no regrets about that decision.

It holds all my gear with room leftover for food. It's my favorite lightweight framed pack, and I'll gout on a limb and say IMHO its the best lightweight framed pack currently available. (But I haven't tried them all…yet)
    -James

James DeGraaf
    BPL Member

@jdegraaf

Locale: Bay Area
    Alex H
    BPL Member

@abhitt

So good thoughts from James, Gerad,Paul and Doug.

Any comments Anna, Charles or Mr. Mobius Vortex?

I have made a decision on the lumbar pad but still looking for thoughts on the ripstop pack body vs. desert conditions and other insights. Thanks.

Charles Grier
    BPL Member

@rincon

Locale: Desert Southwest

I just finished the northern half of the JMT using a Kalais pack w/o the lumbar pad but with the stay. I carried a BV-450 bear can in addition to my usual gear. My base weight including the canister was about 14.5 pounds. I re-supplied at Tuolumne Meadows and Red's Meadow with about 4 pounds and 7 pounds respectively. My maximum pack weight was about 22-23 pounds leaving Red's Meadow. With this weight, the pack handled the load as well as any pack I have ever used. I also used the pack on a through-hike in the Grand Canyon this past May. Here, I had about 35 pounds in the pack, a lot of water. I noticed the load but the pack rode well with the weight. I have used the pack on a number of shorter hikes in the desert and mountains of SE Arizona. I use the optional V-stay with the pack; in my opinion the stay is more important to load hauling than would be any added lumbar padding. To summarize, for loads of 35 pounds or less, this is a great pack; the hip belt/stay system transfers virtually all the weight to your hips. So far, no problems with ripstop durability even after use in the Arizona desert.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools