Topic

Ultralight dream clothing, what would you buy

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Ultralight dream clothing, what would you buy

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 25 posts - 51 through 75 (of 75 total)
  • Author
    Daniel Collins
    BPL Member

@diablo-v

Locale: Orlando FL

I looked at the OR helium, rave reviews on the site I visited, not expensive either.
    Synthetics are out of the question for me as far as NTS wicking layers.
    I'm a merino kind of guy, that much I know.
    The only reason I like the Exofficio shirt is because its light, breathes, sun and bug proof, and has pockets … OK that was six reasons … but light merino long sleeve would be my next choice. Merino just wont hold up to pack straps etc very well.
    Keep it coming .. thanks.

Dale Wambaugh
    BPL Member

@dwambaugh

Locale: Pacific Northwest

I would like to hear first hand feedback on the Helium. What I get fron OR's description is that it is not waterproof enough for all day drizzle and better for summer/occasional rain— a slightly more waterproof windshirt?

Stephen M
    BPL Member

@stephen-m

Locale: Way up North

Hi Dale,

I have the original Helium but only used it light showers and it was fine, I don't think its breathable enough to be used in lieu of a windhshirt though.

Dale Wambaugh
    BPL Member

@dwambaugh

That too was my impression from the specs– not a windshirt and a short duration rain jacket. It sounds okay for the Sierra or the like, but not for 3-season use in the Cascades and Olympics.

James holden
    BPL Member

@bearbreeder-2

ive used the original in all day PNW drizzle fine … as you know there no way yr going to keep totally dry regardless if yr active for hours in such conditions …

now if yr going out for days on end in non-stop heavy rain … nothing short of a full ledged rain jacket will be sufficient IMO … and youll stll get damp regardless

which is what gets me … when people talk about "waterproofness" and "breathability" they are really talking about occasional storms, thundershowers, climbing ice where theres some drip, shorter duration trips …

anyone who has been out in non-stop PNW rain where there no letup for days, the trails are total bogs, theres no dry wood in sight, there no sun at all, humidity is near 100% forever … knows that there is NO such think as "keeping dry" or "breathable" … once the DWR gets so saturated, it aint breathing, period … once you become a steaming pile inside yr overwhelmed rain jacket due to dampness, it doesnt matter

at that point you just want to keep WARM … and get things less damp, ie quick "drying"

;)

Dale Wambaugh
    BPL Member

@dwambaugh

After looking at the weights on the Cuben poncho, I would just but the GoLite if not using it as a ground sheet (which I wouldn't).

The MLD version is listed at 4.6oz and $165. The GoLite is 7oz and $60. The zpack double groundsheet model is 6.1 oz and $170.

Stephen M
    BPL Member

@stephen-m

Its definitely only a summer piece for me and normally only bring it on overnights if the forecast is good, if out for more than 1 night or if rain is the forecast I will pack an event jacket (weighs about 3oz more)

W I S N E R !
    Spectator

@xnomanx

I just picked one up for $80 for trailrunning/fastpacking but have yet to use it.
    Given the majority of the rest of the contenders in this weight range are twice the price, I'm satisfied. For the High Sierra and 4 season Southern California trail running, it seems like it will fit the bill fine. It's only a few ounces heavier than my Houdini, which wets out incredibly quickly in rain or rubbing wet vegetation.
    If I were expecting days and days of rain, I'd carry my heavier GTX shell instead.
    As to breathability while running, it's not a concern to me. Nothing stays dry inside while running or working hard. And as Eric said, maintaining warmth is the primary concern.

http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/ul_wpb_jackets_sotmr_part2#.UiTihBZBSu4

"Aside from the excellent face fabric and poor hood design, the rest of the Heliums are as identical as they are unremarkable. This last is a good thing. The waterproof front zip functioned well, and the single front pocket, elastic cuffs, and drawcord waist do their job quietly and well. The fit is good, trim but not too trim, with room for a light puffy coat and plenty of sleeve length for active pursuits. Even with a sub-par hood, the Heliums are an excellent value. With a better hood, they’d be at the top of the PU heap.

Overall: Solid, bargain rain coats characterized by excellent face fabrics and mediocre hood designs."

Good enough for me.

ROBERT TANGEN
    Spectator

@robertm2s

Locale: Lake Tahoe

Re; "Botton down shirts don't work for me when hiking hard. Great for travel, but just soggy when I'm going uphill." Have you tried unbuttoning all the buttons on a full-button shirt, then opening both sides all the way out?

Ross Bleakney
    BPL Member

@rossbleakney

Locale: Cascades

So the question are 1) if you wanted the best gear to cover wind and rain, light and durable, what would you buy ?

I don't think there is one perfect piece of rain gear. Durability, waterproofness and breathability are often at odds within a particular jacket. In other words, I don't think you will find any garment that scores a five star rating in all three categories, regardless of price or weight (which are another two important categories).

You might consider buying a variety of gear and matching your trip to your gear. The Northwest climate is rather dry in the summer. There are rainshadows. We get stretches of good, dry (and predictably dry) weather in the summer. In the other seasons, we get really long stretches of bad weather. The weather to the east tends to be drier, but gets more thunder and lightning. In other words, you will probably bring different gear on a three day trip to the Teanaway in August versus a week long trip to Olympic Coast in November. Likewise, I would bring a different jacket if I was hiking on the PCT versus a bushwhacking extravaganza.

As far as particular gear is concerned, I would read the "State of the Market Reports" on Rain gear. Here is a link to the State of the Market Reports: http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/xdpy/sf/Gear/State%20of%20the%20Market%20Reports/index.html
    (just search for "rain").

2) If you think it is wrong to try to deal with wind and rain with a single article of outerwear, please explain, and tell me what you would do instead.

A windshirt is redundant. The only reason people bring them is because they tend to more breathable than a rain jacket. This means that they provide for a far more comfortable range of conditions for which a puffy jacket is too much, and a T-Shirt is too little. Whether you want to bring a wind shirt depends a lot on how much discomfort you are willing to endure. You need to provide for the extremes; you need to be prepared for heavy wind and rain. But dealing with the in between weather is not essential.

Fleece breathes really well but is heavy for its weight. When day hiking, I bring fleece on every trip, every condition, rain, wind, sleet or snow. For backpacking, I count every ounce and bring a synthetic puffy. It won't perform as well as fleece if it if is under a rain jacket while under heavy exertion. However, when I've encountered those situations, it has only been for relatively brief periods (a few hours, not all day). In other words, I've never had to travel miles and miles in a hurry while under relentless rain (I've hunkered down or the rain stopped). In that situation, a poncho would be better than a rain jacket. As it is, it performs just fine under those conditions. The jacket loses some warmth, but not as much as down does. I think a synthetic puffy is a great compromise between fleece and down. Of course, if the treated down works well, then it could replace the synthetic puffy.

Steven Paris
    BPL Member

@saparisor

If you are looking for a 3-layer eVent jacket, the 12 oz Rab Momentum is pretty nice. I bought one last year on clearance and haven't yet worn it hiking but I'd take it to North Cascades or a PNW sustained-rainy trip. It's not made anymore, but campsaver has some for $195 on clearance although you can't be choosy on color (only one medium).

http://www.campsaver.com/momentum-jacket-men-s

Edit: definitely too much jacket for Florida, but there's good advice here about needed multiple upper body shells to handle the range of conditions you're looking for. I do carry a windshell AND rainshell in the PNW, mostly because I think it's a great 5 oz layering piece.

Daniel Collins
    BPL Member

@diablo-v

Thanks for the info so far.
    I should say that yes I will be planning any hikes based on weather.
    No, this jacket (or jackets) are not for Florida weather – I think my MICA has me covered there.

I am thinking the poncho would be better on a long AT hike, and the Cascades would be better with a jacket. So the next question is – Goretex Pro or E-vent.
    I will read the state of market link, and I appreciate the time everyone has spent on this dilemma. Hopefully this will be helpful to others who read it as well.

I do understand the "no free lunch" concept very well coming from aviation. This is why I posted the thread in the first place – because I an skeptical of the wondrous claims in sales literature for these jackets. I want confidence in my gear.

I am resolved to carry a 2 or 3 ounce wind shell, done deal, that question is answered although I do want to see suggestions on good brands. As mentioned I got a deal on a Pat Ghost Whisperer hooded, but there may be better options for the weight.
    This brings the issue down to which (rain shell )membrane technology has a good track record. I'm not looking for perfect, just reasonable expectation of reliable.
    Thanks.

steven franchuk

@surf

"2. the fabric doesnt fail in the field … either through abrasion or DWR failure … generally 3 layer are more durable in that regard, and the importance of skills in that you reapply your DWR regularly … also have a backup plan IF your jacket does fail in the field"

DWR failure is not a big deal. If the DWR failed your jacket is still waterproof. The jacket will however loose some or most of its breathability. To help prevent condensation open any vent, slow down to minimize heat, or setup camp early so that the condensation can dry off. Once the rain stops and the jacket starts to dry breathability will be restored to it original level.

If you have a puncture or rip in the fabric use plastic tape to plug the leak. then when your hike is over get it fixed or replace it.

Note that no polyurethane WPB fabric currently sold breaths as well as event despite all the claims to the contrary (or at least I have not found one that lists the cup upright test and list a number as high as Event).

3. long term durability … delamination … its that simple this is the killer of every jacket out there … it happened to every brand no matter how cheap or expensive … what matters at this point is the WARRANTY

Delamination is mostly a issue for WPB fabrics that use polyurethane membranes (typically clear). Polyurethane is sensitive to moisture in the environment. Over time it can get sticky, start to disintegrate or completely peel off. Besides after extensive reviews of the specifications and test methods listed for fabrics, I have not yet found one that breaths as well as well as Event. So for me Polyurethane WPB arn't worth it. they will eventually fial and it doesn't breath well enough.

Gortex, Event, and other generic WPB fabrics use a PTFE (teflon) membrane. PTFE is typically white. Unlike Polyurethane which is applied to the fabric as a liquid and then allowed to dry, PTFE is attached to the fabric using a separate glue. For Gortex or Event delamination is very rare and is typically covered by the manufactures warranty. Gortex had delamination issues when it was first released in 1970;s and Event also apparently had similar problems right after is was released. Both treated it as a warranty issue and I have not seen any recent reports of Gortex or Event delamination.

If your worried about delimination get a jacket with a 3 layer fabric. The 3rd layer will preevent you from tearring or puncturing the PTFE when you put it on. I have not read of any 2.5 layer Gortex or Event fabric delaminating.

Before you hike check the jacket for delamination. Delamination is typically not a sudden event. It typically starts in one area and speads slowly. Delamination is mainly an issue if you don't check for it before you start hiking and then in a sever rain storm find out the jacket is no longer waterproof due to delamination.

PS: I Spent half my life in the PNW and I am well aware how bad the weather can get. In my experience with a poncho, it is not adequate in PNW weather. I have never hiked in Tropical conditions. The breathability of a poncho may be better in warm high humidity conditions.

I recently upgraded from my old REI Gortex jacket to a Westcomb Specter LT 3 layer Event jacket.

Serge Giachetti
    Spectator

@sgiachetti

Locale: Boulder, CO

considering the demand is discontinued, I'd take a look at the westcomb shift, of if you're not in a rush, wait till spring when arc teryx comes out with their new goretex pro Alpha FL jacket –http://www.thegearcaster.com/the_gearcaster/2013/07/arcteryx-fast-and-light-climbing.html

Its seriously worth ordering the shift from somewhere with free shipping just to try it on and check out the quality. If you're making your decision based on durability/weight/quality and breathability, than the shift strikes the right balance. Mind you, I don't have long term experience with the shift, but its pretty obvious that its a tougher and more breathable jacket than other stuff in its weight class.

I would bet that the new arc will be even tougher with the new pro shell, but maybe a little less breathable.

James holden
    BPL Member

@bearbreeder-2

DWR failure is not a big deal. If the DWR failed your jacket is still waterproof. The jacket will however loose some or most of its breathability. To help prevent condensation open any vent, slow down to minimize heat, or setup camp early so that the condensation can dry off. Once the rain stops and the jacket starts to dry breathability will be restored to it original level.

skurka's DWR on his 2.5 layer shell failed ,,, and he got soaked from the outside … on BOTH of his rain jackets …

DWR failure is a serious issue if you cant renew it … ie a hot dryer

The two other jackets were production models, and I didn't treat those — I used them as rain gear. If I could have re-treated the jacket during the trip, I wouldn't have needed two since there was nothing structurally wrong with the jacket — it was just that that the DWR coating had worn off and there was no hydrostatic head, so I got soaked whenever it rained. "Mom, send my other blue rain jacket."

In general I've never been impressed with rain gear, especially on a long trip. It fails, period. The Pertex fabric is no different, except its heavy face fabric tends to absorb a lot of moisture — I think its weight skyrocketed to about double when it got wet, and then it got mildewy because it never had the opportunity to dry in some of the most prolonged wet storms.

http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/forums/thread_display.html?forum_thread_id=38291

also read … http://andrewskurka.com/2012/breathability-its-importance-mechanisms-and-limitations/

Both treated it as a warranty issue and I have not seen any recent reports of Gortex or Event delamination.

If your worried about delimination get a jacket with a 3 layer fabric. The 3rd layer will preevent you from tearring or puncturing the PTFE when you put it on. I have not read of any 2.5 layer Gortex or Event fabric delaminating.

http://tramplite.com/2012/11/montane-spectr-vent-smock-failure.html

http://www.tetongravity.com/forums/showthread.php/239147-goretex-delamination-question

http://www.clubtread.com/sforum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=37976

http://www.outdoorsmagic.com/forum/gear/delaminating-paclites/30098.html

http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/forums/thread_display.html?forum_thread_id=73770&startat=22

http://www.outdoorsmagic.com/forum/gear/me-changabang—delamination-issues/48732.html

http://bushwalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=11231

but the best of all is from our very own BPL SOTM rain jacket test …

Most disturbing of all, the Spektr failed utterly in the waterproofness department, and after a modest amount of use. I noticed some significant fabric fuzzing after my testing, but thought little of it when I sent it to Alaska for BPL writer, champion wilderness racer, and notorious gear killer Luc Mehl to use. He took it on a travese of the Aniakchak crater out near the Aleutians and got “pretty much soaked” by rain leaking in under the pack straps. I was shocked to hear this, as the test jacket had, by that point, fewer than 20 days in the field. I had even cleaned the jacket before sending it north to ensure the DWR was in good shape. The only conclusion I can draw is that fabric abrasion caused laminate failure, and that Montane has some work to do on the durability of this particular form of eVent.

http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/ul_wpb_jackets_sotmr_part2.html

you get the point … i can of course find many many many more "examples" …

;)

Daniel Collins
    BPL Member

@diablo-v

I just want to correct Serge first of all, in my earlier post, towards the beginning
    I said " I have been looking at reviews of the Arcteryx Alpha FL" among other jackets, and that was on the top of my list, but it is NOT, I repeat, NOT Goretex Pro. It is another called Goretex Active. Unless ARC has decided to redesign the jacket for next year, and I doubt that would happen without giving it a different name, it will be using the same membrane. The Alpha FL is available right now, and Amazon has my size. I suspect you were thinking of the ARC BETA series, which are Goretex Pro, heavier, and much costlier.
    I haven't seen a bad review of the ARC Alpha FL yet so it's on the list of finalists.

Regarding the OR Helium 2- its virtue so far is its light weight but it is Pertex shell, not eVent, and is less breathable that either eVent or G-Pro. OR literature suggests that it is for limited use "for flash storms" and not for anything but emergency use.
    One thing is certain, most users liked it, but most users were not thru hikers either.

I haven't found any eVent jackets yet, still looking at the Rab Momentum, one left, in a weird color in my size, and that's on the possible list as well. Looks like I have a lot of reading to do with all the links posted. Much appreciated.

Serge Giachetti
    Spectator

@sgiachetti

Locale: Boulder, CO

Hey Daniel, check that link I posted: "The updated Alpha FL Jacket is made completely from the new breathable yet durable three layer Gore-Tex Pro material. The 310g jacket features a trim fit in a hip length cut, with no extra bulk to weigh you down or get in the way.
    I don't know enough about new goretex pro material, but from my understanding its suppose to be about as breathable as goretex active, but more durable.

Daniel Collins
    BPL Member

@diablo-v

The gearcaster link does indeed say the alpha FL will use the goretex but nowhere else has that info so I suspected an error. If it will be Goretex Pro in 2014 you can forget about the ultralight part … we will see.
    The Alpha FL is on my short list.
    Another one as you suggested, the $400 Westcomb Shift. Only bummer is no pit zips, but so far great reviews.
    I have the Shift in my wish list at REI

I might get the Super Mica or Helium 2 for Florida hikes later.
    Still trying to find warranty info on the Shift.
    And I don't yet know anything about the polartec neoshell used in the shift.
    There was one other jacket with Goretex pro in the shoulders and Paclite everywhere else, looking for the link again – it looked interesting.

Rick M
    BPL Member

@yamaguy

del

Daniel Collins
    BPL Member

@diablo-v

The dual fabric jacket I was trying to remember is:
    Arc'teryx Alpha SL Hybrid Jacket
    $350, 13 oz and has pit zips, good reviews so far.
    I will check out the Axiom, thanks.

Richard May
    BPL Member

@richardm

Locale: Nature Deficit Disorder

This thread got me to study up on rain and wind gear. Boy, did I find some treasures here on BPL.

Before deciding on a jacket you might want to read this article:

High Exertion Moisture Accumulation in Rain and Wind Shells
    http://backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/00030.html

The Science of Breathability and Its Impact on Raingear Selection and Use
    http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/00037.html

In summary they conclude that ventilation is a lot more important than breathability to keep you from getting wet from the inside out. So, check out those vents.

Nick Gatel
    BPL Member

@ngatel

Locale: Southern California

"In summary they conclude that ventilation is a lot more important than breathability to keep you from getting wet from the inside out. So, check out those vents."

Some of us figured that out decades ago. Although not always ideal, it is why I use a poncho. Afternoon thunder showers are one thing, day after day rain is another. At the end of the day there is no perfect solution. So instead of worrying about it and constantly searching for the perfect rain gear I just plod along with what works for me and spend the time saved not looking for the perfect gear on more important endeavors.

Stephen M
    BPL Member

@stephen-m

how about some of those new clothes the Emperor wears?

Daniel Collins
    BPL Member

@diablo-v

I'm not furry enough and I got no fat under my skin.
    When I scuba I sink with no weights without a wetsuit.

I have to admit I get cold easily when not moving.
    I spent most of my life in the south pacific although I was born in Washington.
    I am acclimatized for the tropics. I go to Washington about once per two years and I always get sinus shock from the drier air. So I'm really trying to be thorough now in selecting my clothing system for a week in the Cascades.
    I don't want to overpack and I don't want to be cold either ……
    As the philosophy goes – I want to be prepared for the worst possible weather.
    The short list is narrowing down to about 5 possibles, which is a good thing.
    Arc Alpha SL, Rab Momentum, Westcomb Shift LT Hoody, and a couple of others.

Daniel Collins
    BPL Member

@diablo-v

I added the Montbell Storm Cruiser to the short list.
    $260, 12 oz, Goretex Pro with pit zips.
    I will hold off on pulling the trigger right away since I will not be in the
    Cascades this season, and maybe some new stuff will show up or other stuff might go on clearance.
    So I spent this weeks allowance on a Caldera Cone Tri-Ti with all the bells and whistles and a MLD 850 ML pot for it.
    I got my MH Ghost Whisperer wind shell in the mail and eegads it looks delicate.
    I guess we can't expect too much from 2 ounces ….

Viewing 25 posts - 51 through 75 (of 75 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools