Topic

What/how do you store your fosters pot in your pack?

  • This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
mik matra BPL Member
PostedSep 1, 2013 at 3:30 am

Hi guys,

I have a ribbed 2 cup flat bottomed Foster Pot on the way from Dan. I can clearly see how the ribs added to the alu can walls will make the can stronger but I am still a bit dubious in jamming it into my back pack with the rest of my gear. Okay, I could store it near or on top of my pack to minimise the risk of crushing but it still doesn't leave me with full confidence of not accidentally crushing it rendering my cookpot useless. That would blow balls if I am 2 days into a week long trip.

I am coming from the indestructible JetBoil which was put in anywhere and I knew I would pull it out same as it went in.

So how do you guys care for this delicate item? My initial thought was to stuff it with clothing items….like socks/beanie/synth base layer etc etc. I am NOT in favour of a caddie as that piece of item alone will be the weight of my Foster can/ti windscreen/ti stove/potstand.

Any hints….tips?

Ta muchly :).

M B BPL Member
PostedSep 1, 2013 at 5:58 am

I use a rubber band to hold the lid on, and just put into mesh pocket on outside of pack.

Store it under NO forces. It will fatigue and crack if subjected to bending forces.

Nick Gatel BPL Member
PostedSep 1, 2013 at 9:40 am

I have a Caldera Cone GVP. Bought it when they first came out. I keep the screen, fuel, and stove in it. I carry it in a Cuben sack from zPacks to keep the Esbit residue from getting on my other gear. I don't use the caddy.

I store it about midway in my pack, without being overly careful. It is stored where it needs to be for efficient packing. The first Foster pot developed a pin hole leak after about 2 years. This can had a single single rib on it – early model. About 1.5 years ago I posted here about the pin hole. Rand from Trail Designs posted back that the newer multi-rib cans last a lot longer. So I bought two from him and two from Zelph. I am happy to report that I am still using the same single can since March of 2012.

mik matra BPL Member
PostedSep 3, 2013 at 12:38 am

How do you guys store your Fosters Pots in your packs????

PostedSep 3, 2013 at 7:54 am

I just put it near the top of the pack without really worrying about it. Been using the same pot for almost 3 years now and no issues. Just be gentle when packing/unpacking it.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
Loading...