Found a "new" item at Walmart tonight. A Frogg Toggs umbrella. Uses the soft fabric that they make some rain-suits out of. Weighs 7.8 ounces and folds up to the short carry-size. Only $10 anyway.
Kelly
Topic
Frogg Toggs umbrella
Become a member to post in the forums.
- This topic is empty.
nice find! my only reservation is that material is pretty fragile. I poked my thumb thru my jacket on accident.
Not trying to rain on your umbrella, but i have to agree with what the other poster said. Using polypro as a material for an umbrella just doesn't make much sense. One of the main advantages of this material is how well it can breath and still be waterproof, when made to do so. One of it's main disadvantages, especially in non woven and non reinforced form, is how fragile it is.
For an umbrella you just don't need the first advantage, and the 2nd is really an issue for an umbrellas purpose.
For umbrellas i would recommend GoLite's Chromedome. Great for rain and for intense Sun. It most likely will last a lot longer than the Frogg Toggs, if the Frogg Toggs canopy part is made out of non woven polypro like their clothes are.
2 point for thinking outside the box, but I think you get the buzzer on this idea. Umbrellas work because they have a tight skin and a light framework.
I was looking at one of the UL. Mont Bell umbrellas the other day. Illustrations really don't show the scale of how small and compact they are when stowed. I was reminded of a big cigar, regardless of the Fruedian aspects– it is just an umbrella :)
Sounds interesting!
I wonder how it compares in size to a golite half dome?
I like my half dome, but find it a bit small.
I'm always happy to see inexpensive, readily available options for backpacking gear!
For a larger umbrella checkout the SWING LITE-FLEX UMBRELLA at antigravitygear.com I purchased one of these from their booth at Trail Days and I love it. It comes with a carry case/sheath that is similar to an arrow quiver that you can wear. I like it better than my GOLITE. umbrella is 7.9oz..sheath is 2.1 oz
Become a member to post in the forums.

