Topic

Bearikade

  • This topic is empty.
Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
Adam Berg BPL Member
PostedAug 29, 2013 at 10:33 am

Wife and I are thinking of making a last-minute trip to the Adirondacks next week. If we have to carry a bear canister, I'd at least like to avoid having to carry the 43 oz. Garcia Backpackers Cache or Bare Boxer Champ. (Not even sure they have adequate capacity for the two of us for five days.)

Of course, Bear Vaults are out because a few of the bears there have learned how to open them.

Anyone have any ideas on where to buy or rent a Bearikade Expedition or Weekender on short notice? Wild Ideas is out of stock.

Adam

Brian Johns BPL Member
PostedAug 31, 2013 at 1:33 pm

I think bear vaults are back. After the Yellow incident BV added a second tab/lock and it has been allowed since. There is good info on the seemingly out of date BV website.

Bob Gross BPL Member
PostedAug 31, 2013 at 2:17 pm

"After the Yellow incident BV added a second tab/lock and it has been allowed since."

Plus, I think that was a long time ago. The old models with single tab are probably long since off the market.

–B.G.–

Jerry Adams BPL Member
PostedAug 31, 2013 at 2:38 pm

"The old models with single tab are probably long since off the market."

But what do I do with my single tab BV?

Bob Gross BPL Member
PostedAug 31, 2013 at 2:48 pm

"But what do I do with my single tab BV?"

You could use it to store food in, as long as you were not in an area of super intelligent black bears.

The Bear Vault company sold the first generation of products, and then when problems arose, they offered replacement deals to the first generation owners. One friend of mine was offered a free second generation product, so he took it. However, they never asked for the first generation product to be returned. I don't know. It may have ended up in the plastic recycling bin.

What happened when you contacted the Bear Vault company about this? Maybe you don't have your original receipt.

–B.G.–

Jerry Adams BPL Member
PostedAug 31, 2013 at 2:59 pm

I go where the dumb bears are : )

Only place is beach of Olympic Peninsula, and it's really just for raccoons

Some day I may do something on JMT, are there super intelligent bears there?

Oh, and I use it in my car to keep mice out of food

Gary Dunckel BPL Member
PostedAug 31, 2013 at 3:05 pm

I use mine in RMNP, and nobody asks or checks. When I pick up the permit, the ranger asks if I have a bear canister. "Yup." And that's it. They have maybe 25 black bears, half of which probably aren't even in the Park on any given day/night. Nobody I know has ever seen one there.

Bob Gross BPL Member
PostedAug 31, 2013 at 3:10 pm

"Only place is beach of Olympic Peninsula, and it's really just for raccoons"

I guess a raccoon is just a mini-bear, but with opposable thumbs. Raccoons don't have tremendous strength like a black bear, and they don't have much strength in their bite. OTOH, raccoons are much better climbers than bears, so they could get into a hung bag easily.

"Some day I may do something on JMT, are there super intelligent bears there?"

Yes, especially in a few places. Yosemite Valley has a bear problem, but those are mostly bears that break into cars by a variety of methods. Rae Lakes has a bear problem. The Mount Whitney Trail has a bear problem. Maybe a couple of other places. You can tell by where bear canisters are required by the authorities. There are maps.

"Oh, and I use it in my car to keep mice out of food"

One would want to know how the rodents are getting into your car in the first place. Do they use the wireless entry system?

I will comment that the double-latch BearVaults are pretty good. If I foul up and get olive oil on my hands, it takes me about a half hour to get the damned thing open.

–B.G.–

Jerry Adams BPL Member
PostedAug 31, 2013 at 3:14 pm

"One would want to know how the rodents are getting into your car in the first place. Do they use the wireless entry system?"

That's what I would like to know

"I will comment that the double-latch BearVaults are pretty good. If I foul up and get olive oil on my hands, it takes me about a half hour to get the damned thing open."

That sounds like a self inconsistent sentance : )

I usually just close it to just before the latch to make it easier to open. I leave the canister relatively close to me. The raccoons seem to stay away. I do see them walking around on the beach and especially leave their prints everywhere, but not around my camp.

Bob Gross BPL Member
PostedAug 31, 2013 at 3:15 pm

"I use mine in RMNP, and nobody asks or checks. When I pick up the permit, the ranger asks if I have a bear canister. "Yup." And that's it. "

In Yosemite, when you go to pick up your wilderness permit, the ranger asks you if you have a bear canister. When you answer that you do, they show you a page with six or eight different bear canisters shown, and you have to pick yours out of the lineup. They write that in on the permit.

Now, what they ought to do is to have that page with the six or eight canisters shown, and then an additional six or eight decoy photos. If you pick the wrong one, they would make you physically show yours to them as proof.

As an example, last year there was a guy backpacking in Yosemite with a DIY plastic bear canister by Rubbermaid. A bear would have made short work of it.

–B.G.–

jscott Blocked
PostedAug 31, 2013 at 3:32 pm

Jerry, the bears who graduated from Cal are super intelligent. The Stanford bears, not so much.

Steven Paris BPL Member
PostedAug 31, 2013 at 5:13 pm

It is only the lids that changed when BearVault added a second black tab a few inches around the lid from the first. The body of the BV are the same and don't need to be discarded. I think one could contact BV and see if they will exchange or replace the old-style lid with a new-style lid (or if they are for sale).

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
Loading...