Topic

Mt Elbert/Massive Loop?

  • This topic is empty.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
PostedAug 28, 2013 at 9:08 pm

Hey Guys… Heading out to Colorado next week to hit Mt Elbert and Massive.

Trying to decide if we should access both from the Halfmoon Creek direction, taking Elbert as an up and back and Massive as a loop (Halfmoon Creek to Massive Trail to CT)…or…if there are any decent loops taking in Elbert and Massive connecting via Halfmoon Creek or via French, Champion, etc.

Also, any suggestions for a shortish 10k' or 11k' acclimation hike around Leadville for the day prior.

We'll arrive Sunday afternoon and will have Mon-Wed for Elbert/Massive.

TIA
-Mark in St. Louis

PostedAug 28, 2013 at 9:28 pm

Leadville is at 10K. So walking around town would qualify.

Since you are flying in and doing the hike the next day, I'd just hang out. You aren't going to acclimate in a day. Save your energy for the "real" hike.

PostedAug 29, 2013 at 12:17 pm

A great site for you,

14ers.com

They have tons of info, maps, and more.

PostedAug 29, 2013 at 3:36 pm

I'm driving in.

When we did The Pecos (Truchas area) in May we did a 9-9.5k hike before hitting 12k the next day (and eventually 13k). To be honest, I didn't see/feel the need for it in retrospect. I got a light/dull headache the 1st night and was OK after that.

I'll study the topos/trail maps, I was just hoping someone had a good loop they had experience with.

-Mark

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
Loading...