Topic

New to packrafting (need recommendations)

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Off Piste Packrafting New to packrafting (need recommendations)

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 31 total)
  • Author
    Maggie Harlan
    BPL Member

@maggiemaeflower

Locale: Ohio

When I first started backpacking I bought everything I "needed," 2 years later everything has been replaced by something lighter or more durable. I want to avoid the same costly mistake with packrafting.

I have no idea what types of rivers I will be on, but I assume mostly calm to moderate. I am skilled with the kayak and I have been on class 5 rapids on the Gauley River.

If you had unlimited funds what would your set-up be? Any help would be appreciated!

Travis Leanna
    BPL Member

@t-l

Locale: Wisconsin

I'd get an appropriately sized Alpacka with whatever spray deck would appear to make most sense for the kind of trips you'll be taking. The cruiser spray deck is lighter, removable, and will suit your needs most of the time. The whitewater deck is made for it's namesake. I don't know if it's removable.

An appropriate paddle (some are more robust for rocky waters). I use the Sawyer paddle that Alpacka sells and have been very happy with it. Some people really like the Werner paddles. EDIT: Alpacka no longer has the Sawyer paddles on their website.

A Sweet Protection helmet is top quality, but you can get by with many of the other brands. Just make sure it fits correctly and is made specifically for whitewater if you really want to be safe. Any helmet is better than nothing, but I'd personally stick with one made for whitewater.

Fingerless gloves for warm temps, THICK neoprene gloves/mitts for cold. Have been happy with ones from NRS.

A farmer john wetsuit paired with a rain jacket for 3-season use; mine is from NRS.

A dry suit for winter. I don't have one of these.

Neoprene socks for cold runs.

An inflatable belt-style PFD for when you don't really NEED one (lazy rivers, lakes) but is required by local laws. I have a Stearns 16g belt.

A foam PFD for moving water that allows you to sit comfortably in the raft and doesn't get in the way of a paddling motion. I use the MTI Journey.

Maggie Harlan
    BPL Member

@maggiemaeflower

Thank you! I will look into all of these. I was leaning towards Alpacka but I wanted to be sure.

David Chenault
    BPL Member

@davec

Locale: Queen City, MT

Alpacka is still the only serious option. Everything else is too fragile for moving water or too heavy (Feathercraft).

For an all-around, backcountry and moderate whitewater setup I'd get the Alpacka suited to my size (their recommendations are accurate) with a cruiser deck, a four-piece Werner touring paddle in 210cm, a simple foam PFD, and a pair of Kokatat paddling pants to go with my rain coat. If I got really cold easily I'd consider the Alpacka drysuit, but probably wait a few years until they make it actually dry and durable.

If I were going to be carrying a bike on my boat often I'd get one boat size larger.

If I were going to be running class IV on a routine basis, I'd get the whitewater deck, a four-piece Werner whitewater paddle in 205cm, an Astral YTV, a helmet that fits, and a Kokatat G-tex drysuit with feet and a relief zip.

Maggie Harlan
    BPL Member

@maggiemaeflower

I am only 5'2" but I would like to take my dog sometimes. Should I go a size up as mentioned with the bike? He is a 25lb American Eskimo, not too large.

Travis Leanna
    BPL Member

@t-l

Having a dog in a packraft is something I would not recommend. There is no place for him except your lap or legs and he'll only be in the way. Packrafts are meant to be "fitted," and are not a roomy vessel. Your body, in a way, is part of the boat's 'frame.'

Maggie Harlan
    BPL Member

@maggiemaeflower

That makes sense. I just saw a few pictures on the Alpacka wesite and thought he might like it. He has been in a kayak before and that was kinda tricky . Thank you!

Levon Jensen
    BPL Member

@levonjensen

Locale: Canadian Rockies

Id say your dog will be fine,
    these guys always bring theres and some great info in there blog.
    http://dirtanddogs.blogspot.ca/

Travis Leanna
    BPL Member

@t-l

Huh. I guess if it works, then cool. I know that personally, I'd be cramped, but if you don't mind the body on you, then have a go at it!

David Chenault
    BPL Member

@davec

Maggie, if you want to take a dog on multi-day stuff, sizing up and getting the cruiser deck (and removing it when you have the dog) is probably the way to go. If the boat feels too big in whitewater without the dog thigh straps will take care of that.

Maggie Harlan
    BPL Member

@maggiemaeflower

The Alpacka site says the "Alpaca" fits up to a 5'8" person. Like I said, I'm only 5'2" so my guess is there will be some extra room anyways. I am definitely getting the cruiser deck.

I spoke to them on the phone briefly and was pointed in the direction of the cargo fly. I've read some forums and I'm more confused than when I started.

Travis Leanna
    BPL Member

@t-l

Maggie,
    Feel free to ask anything you want to know here. There are some very experienced packrafters on BPL! (Me? I just moonlight as a packrafter). Also, fire off an email to Roman Dial. He knows a little about packrafting.

spelt with a t
    BPL Member

@spelt

Locale: Rangeley, ME

Maggie,
    I am 5'4' with 28" inseam and have an Alpaca. I had to move the seat up several inches to get a good foot brace on the front tubes. If you are willing to keep your seat back when the dog is with you (and add thigh straps for control if necessary), I imagine it will work without sizing up. The seat is held in place by lacing that is a little tedious, but not difficult, to adjust.

I looked at both sizes (plus the Scout, but decided I wanted a deck) and am glad I went with the Paca. I would be swimming in a Yak.

David Chenault
    BPL Member

@davec

The Cargo Fly is an interesting option. If your case, if you're doing a four day trip with your dog you could put most/all of your gear in the boat, thus freeing up more room for your dog in the bow. Frankly, I'm skeptical about the handling claims Alpacka makes here, and suspect that the "handling more like a hardshell" aspect has more to do with effectively lessening the bouyancy than moving the carried weight further down. Then again, I've not used a boat with the Cargo Fly and might be full of it. It is quite expensive, and adds a potential failure point.

Travis Leanna
    BPL Member

@t-l

I love the idea of a cargo fly. I'm a bit leery of it too.

Maggie Harlan
    BPL Member

@maggiemaeflower

Today I purchased the Alpacka "Alpaca" with the Cruiser Deck and the Cargo Fly. I figure even if I never use it, it's there and most of the added weight is in the dry bags and not the zipper itself. I did some research and no stories of zipper failure. I was told they can always cut the zipper out and replace it or you could just use Tyvek tape for a quick repair. I hope this is all true.

I went with the Werner Shuna paddle 210cm. I custom ordered it so I could get one that breaks down into 4 pieces.

Question regarding PFD: I like the idea of a self inflating over the foam, less bulk, ect. From what I understand, if I jump in the water it will automatically deploy. I am a very strong swimmer and don't think I would need one in most cases. Is it a big pain to rearm if I was to capsize? Does it get expensive?

spelt with a t
    BPL Member

@spelt

Locale: Rangeley, ME

CO2 cartridges for self-inflatables run about $20-25 a pop. The self-inflators come in auto-deploy and self-deploy. If I were to get one I'd choose self-deploy so I wouldn't be charging myself $20 every time I took a swim!

Travis Leanna
    BPL Member

@t-l

I have the self deploy. It is reserved for places that require life jackets in calm waters. I'd never use it in a swift river; foam is bulky, but worth the peace of mind that it will always float without me thinking about it. I don't want to be fumbling with a pull chord while being swept down a river.

Maggie Harlan
    BPL Member

@maggiemaeflower

I went with a foam Astral YTV for now. It's only 18 oz so I figured it wouldn't be too bad.

David Thomas
    BPL Member

@davidinkenai

Locale: North Woods. Far North.

>"I like the idea of a self inflating over the foam, less bulk, ect. From what I understand, if I jump in the water it will automatically deploy. I am a very strong swimmer"

I'm all for saving weight and bulk in most cases, but unless the foam is a rule out (competitive sailing where you need to squeeze past team mates, or rowing a shell – my wife rows an open shell, solo at times, in Alaskan lakes and Californian bays), I really like the reliability of foam.

You're a strong swimmer, but what if you have a foot tangled in the boat rigging? Or if you hit your head on a rock or log? Or your hands are full trying to retain some gear from getting washed downriver?

I'm biased by my location – in our cold to very cold water, hand strength and coordination are lost so fast, that the biggest determinant of survival when a small plane ditches in water is if you were wearing a PFD when you exited the plane.

I'm unclear if this is for day trips only or for overnights. But a foam PFD has some multi-use possibilities. Very easily as a sit pad on a beach. Potentially as a very thick and insulating sleeping pad. Some of Daryl's DIY jackets using closed-cell-foam come to mind. It's a warm jacket, it's a sleeping pad, and (for the pack rafter), it's also a PFD albeit not USCG approved.

I'm an engineer, I look at the numbers. I don't worry about commercial plane crashes, terrorists or bear attacks. I worry about motor-vehicle accidents, heart disease, and hypothermia. My wife and I have always been as religious about PFDs in open boats as we are about seat belts in cars, even though I'd never really needed them until this May. After the boat sunk and we all got to shore on a remote beach, the non-Alaskans asked my buddy and me (a little accusingly), Why were you guys wearing PFDs?!? as if we knew the boat was going to sink. I honestly said, "Because I ALWAYS wear a PFD" (in an open boat, not the State Ferry, Loveboat, etc).

I modify simple, light foam PFDs (yes, I know I'm not supposed to modify them, but I do anyway) to include rather a lot of zippered or velcro pockets on the front. Because when you wash up on some beach while your boat goes under or downriver, it is really nice to have your VHF, PLB, knife, space blanket, and fire-starting kit with you. So much better than not having those things! In May, we hailed a passing boat within 30 minutes and got picked up.

James Castleberry

@winterland76

Excellent blog post by Forrest McCarthy that covers packrafting gear options.
    http://forrestmccarthy.blogspot.com/2013/03/packing-for-packrafting.html

Maggie Harlan
    BPL Member

@maggiemaeflower

The main reason I went with foam was the head injury concept. I just realized it isn't USCG approved. Hopefully I won't need that rating for anything. There are a few pockets on it already. I like the idea of a knife, I hadn't thought of that! Thank you

Mitchell Rossman

@bigmitch

Locale: Minneapolis-St. Paul

NRS sells river knives that mount on the front of your PFD. Easy to grab if you get pinned and need to cut the boat (not just packrafts) away from you. Yes, they are heavy, and yes, you can cut your cut your leg off with one.

Maggie Harlan
    BPL Member

@maggiemaeflower

Packraft

David Chenault
    BPL Member

@davec

Awesome Maggie, enjoy.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 31 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools