Hello fellow backpackers !
I need your help in choosing my new footwear.
I will use it for 3 season backpacking, but mostly on good weather, up to 9000 feet.
I see on these forums people are recommending light shoes.
But if I look at major manufacturer websites (La Sportiva, Garmont,..), in their hiking/backpacking section, they only have boots.
There is another category of shoes: approach shoes, but manufacturers don't recommend them for backpacking (and I'm not sure what they are actually)
So please let mw know what should I look in a shoe:
-I get it there should be no no gore-tex
-what kind of stiffness ?
-what kind of sole ?
-what kind of padding in the sole ?
What kind of socks ? I guess I'll be wet more so cotton socks are out !
You may stop reading here or….
Let me tell you a little bit of background:
My feet do not perspire much, so I had no issues wearing GoreTex boots (Asolo 95 GTX) and cotton socks for the past 10 years.
I do get blisters on the back of the foot from time to time.
In the winter I have some very long leather boots that I use (I don't do any hard stuff, just
Last weekend, while on a hike, the soles finally gave up, so I had to improvise and I used my Teva sandals to hike.
What a difference ! So light, so fresh. I enjoyed hiking in sandals with a 20 pounds backpack on an easy trail.
I'm not sure if it would have worked so well on wet rocks though.
Thank you in advance !












