Topic

Q-Down Tested to Failure But Still A Major Improvement

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Q-Down Tested to Failure But Still A Major Improvement

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Richard Nisley
    BPL Member

@richard295

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area
    Stephen M
    BPL Member

@stephen-m

Locale: Way up North

Thanks Richard,

Have you had a chance to test any of the available offering?

Richard Nisley
    BPL Member

@richard295

Stephen,

I am in the process of designing the applicable test equipment. It is a much bigger job than I originally anticipated. For the foreseeable future I am just going to have to rely on other's posted subjective testing.

Stephen M
    BPL Member

@stephen-m

Locale: Way up North

Hi Richard,

I found that review interesting, I can understand the guy wore the down piece during the day to test it out but in those conditions I would always pick fleece first time and synthetic as a far second.

You may remember I wrote about the Brooks Range Mojave but did not get to test the DWR Down as the jacket was not warm enough for spring conditions an thus snet it back for a refund.

Even with DWR Down I feel syntehics will still have a time and a place, on Eric Chans advice I have been using a Sntehic Parka over a down inner, I have also purchased a syntehtic quit to use as and overbag. Besides the obvious advantages of the quilt I realised I could tuck the quilt in to the hood of my sleeping bag meaning I only breathed on the quilt. The quilt is a 50F and weigh 395g and can replace a bivy when used using a single skin shelter.

Richard Nisley
    BPL Member

@richard295

Eric's layering advice is very sound. Likewise, your dress and sleep ensembles will handle moisture vapor the best way possible.

James holden
    BPL Member

@bearbreeder-2

i am of the opinion that down under synth is probably superior to either just down, or even straight synth for many conditions

– moisture management … the synth is a "sacrificial" layer where the moisture migrates to … and it still retains a decent amount of insulation value when damp … the down will stay fairly dry even in damp (though not soaked) conditions

– protection … the synth protects the down from outside elements … its also something that can get torn up and still work unlike down …

– drying … its much faster to dry out 2 thinner items than 1 thicker one … also with a thin UL down sweater you can actually dry that out under the synth with some low level activity and/or a hawt nalgene

– flexibility … you can keep the down protected in yr dry bag and only use the synth for quick stops … you can hike in the synth in low level activities … or wear it in the morning till you warm up on the trail

– sleeping … if you "wear" you insulation inside the bag … you can use one for yr lower torso as a blanket and the other for the upper body … even better put the synth one OVER your bag at the footbox … this prevents condensation internally and from rubbing against the tent from getting into your bag

the real downside is the faff of taking on and off two separate layers in a climbing situation if you need the warmth at belays … but for hikers that shouldnt be an issue

;)

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools