Topic

Calling Backpackin’ Bartenders: Need Alcohol for a Lightweight

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums Food, Hydration, and Nutrition Calling Backpackin’ Bartenders: Need Alcohol for a Lightweight

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Author
    Delmar O’Donnell

@bolster

Locale: Between Jacinto & Gorgonio

I confess to being an alcoholic lightweight. I can handle 1-1/2 beers, or 1.5 oz of vodka very diluted in a large mixed drink, but the alcohol really has to be thinned out for me to enjoy it. Can't do a concentrated shot of anything. But I do enjoy a modest dose of alcohol at the end of the day, and would like to take something concentrated (thinking vodka) that can be mixed or thinned out for a trail nightcap. What can I mix the alcohol with, to make a palatable drink?

So far I carry:
    – powdered milk
    – gatorade
    – powdered ice tea.

None of those sound appetizing for a mixed drink. Would powdered lemonade work? What other ideas for making a tasty alcoholic trail drink?

Stephen M
    BPL Member

@stephen-m

Locale: Way up North

Not much help for now but on trips when its below 50f I put some decent whiskey in to hot chocolate.

James Couch
    Spectator

@jbc

Locale: Cascade Mountains

I am a big fan of straight Single Malt Scotch myself, but for those who want something else here are a few ideas:

In winter Peppermint Schnapps in hot cocoa is good. (Be careful, this stuff is addictive and easy drinking – I am sure Schnapps has cost me more than one summit due to overindulgence and oversleeping!) Kahlua in coffee or Hot chocolate is also a winner.

Summer, bring Tequila, mix with lemon/lime gator aid for a 'PCT' margarita. If there is snow available use some of that! A bit of Rum and any fruit flavored gator aid/drink mix makes a passable daiquiri. I have also heard of folks bringing Pina Colda mix for the rum.

Kattt
    BPL Member

@kattt

Make sure the Tequila has a special kind of worm in it. I hear it protects you from Giardia….

Lee Oz
    BPL Member

@leeoz

Locale: NY

I had Drambuie diluted in hot chocolate in the past and found it pretty tasty. I would try to pack some 'decent' cocoa powder to begin with.

Web description: Drambuie is a sweet, golden coloured 40% ABV liqueur made from malt whisky, honey, herbs and spices. Produced in Broxburn, West Lothian, Scotland, it is served straight, on the rocks, or added to mixed drinks such as the Rusty Nail.

James Couch
    Spectator

@jbc

Locale: Cascade Mountains

Yes, Tequila is a dual use form of alcohol!

Drambuie is very easy drinking on it's own as well. To the OP you might check out other liquors, you are sure to find one that you like straight!

David Thomas
    BPL Member

@davidinkenai

Locale: North Woods. Far North.

Make your own cordial concentrate: everclear, cranberry juice concentrate, balance with sugar. The combo is more potent (less water weight) than vodka or rum. Dilute 1:2 or 1:3 with water for use.

The cranberry juice concentrate can be a little hard to find and to recognize. Right next to the Ocen Spray juices, it comes in a 12-ounce aluminum can but cost $4 or so because it make something like 2 quarts of juice.

Keep notes. Adjust the recipe as desired.

Score an appropriate sized plastic rum or vodka bottle to transport.

Jason G
    BPL Member

@jasong

Locale: iceberg lake

+1 one on the whiskey hot choc. I drink wild turkey 101 on the trail for the higher alk %.

I also have done Zuko Pina (super sugary powdered fruit drinks, many other very good flavors too btw) and rum. kinda like a trail pina colada.

https://www.google.com/search?q=zuko+drink&oq=zuko+drink&aqs=chrome.0.69i57j5j0l2j69i62l2.5195j0&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8#fp=8c4e00d68a43bad5&q=zuko+drink&tbm=shop

Duane Hall
    BPL Member

@pkh

Locale: Nova Scotia

You should be able to purchase small packets of apple cider powder/crystals. This makes for a very nice hot drink, especially with a shot (modest, in your case) of rum or vodka.

Richard Lyon
    BPL Member

@richardglyon

Locale: Bridger Mountains

Apple cider works even better with bourbon, though in my opinion that's a waste of good whiskey. A slug of Jack Daniel's is my backcountry cocktail. The only acceptable addition is mountain snow. Some of the sweeter brandies or liqueurs [peppermint schnapps, any fruit brandy] can perk up cocoa or coffee. Skol!

Jerry Adams
    BPL Member

@retiredjerry

Locale: Oregon and Washington

Squeeze lemon and add sugar – maybe 2 oz juice and 2 T sugar.

Maybe 1/4 of that, 1 ounce everclear (95% alcohol), 8 ounces water

James Marco
    BPL Member

@jamesdmarco

Locale: Finger Lakes

I like a shot of Scotch in my evening cocoa. 12 year old single malt prefered.

d k
    BPL Member

@dkramalc

+1 on the Everclear – can be added to Crystal light and water for the lightest possible weight, also to many other things as suggested above.

Valerie E
    Spectator

@wildtowner

Locale: Grand Canyon State

Delmar,

If you're not a big drinker, I'd recommend against the Everclear. Sure, it's the highest alcohol-to-weight/volume option, but my friends who drank it SWORE that the effects lingered into the next day's hiking…probably not a happy thing.
    If you have a sensitive palate, don't use Gatorade, because you'll notice that odd aftertaste. Ewww.
    I would recommend either tequila (lemon/lime Crystal Lite powder as mixer, and if you want to get fancy, add a small amount of Cointreau to the tequila at home) or vodka (orange Crystal Lite). You could also try mixing bourbon with lemonade powder. In all cases, dilute with water as needed.
    And, of course, adding any type of whiskey to warm, creamy, sweet coffee surely can't fail to please even a non-booze-loving person… Cheers!

Delmar O’Donnell

@bolster

Locale: Between Jacinto & Gorgonio

I'm thinking that coffee/hot-chocolate might be my huckleberry of a drink mix…also will try one of the lemon/orange concoctions. thanks for all the recommendations and ideas.

Nick Gatel
    BPL Member

@ngatel

Locale: Southern California

I don't drink much, but occasionally (maybe once a year) I bring a little wine. I even bought on of those smaller Platypus wine sacks.

spelt with a t
    BPL Member

@spelt

Locale: Rangeley, ME

I sometimes take mead, port, or some dessert wine in a little flask.

Hot chocolate is good with various things, as others have said. If you want to be really decadent, add some coconut cream to the hot cocoa.

BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

Locale: The Cascades

"I had Drambuie diluted in hot chocolate in the past and found it pretty tasty. I would try to pack some 'decent' cocoa powder to begin with.

Web description: Drambuie is a sweet, golden coloured 40% ABV liqueur"

I had heard of Drambuie, but never tried it. Didn't realize it was made from scotch, my usual drink. So I bought some Drambuie 15 today (43% ABV). Wow. Nice stuff (I'm sipping a bit as I write this). Nice and smooth all on its own. Can't wait to try it in some cocoa this weekend!

BER —
    BPL Member

@ber

Locale: Wisconsin

Jack Daniels pairs well with crystal lite lemonade, and peach mango tea.
    Drambuie and Grand Marnier are good on their own.
    Grand Marnier is great with Russian Tea (mix of crystal lite orange, lemon, ice tea, cinnamon and clove).
    Whiskey and Starbucks Via, not bad.
    Though Bloody Marys are usually cold, they are good hot on a cold day, especially if you like yours spicy as we do. We have dehydrated our own special Bloody Mary mix and then powdered it. It rehydrates better in hot water. Add a bit of vodka or even less everclear. Note pickles do not rehydrate very well. :)

Jerry Adams
    BPL Member

@retiredjerry

Locale: Oregon and Washington

"Wow. Nice stuff (I'm sipping a bit as I write this)."

Uh oh, danger! First rule of internet, don't post things when you've been drinking : )

Lee Oz
    BPL Member

@leeoz

Locale: NY

'Can't wait to try it in some cocoa this weekend!'

Awesome, hope you like it.

I never tried the following mixture but for mocha lovers, Kahlua Especial (36%) in hot chocolate could be something to look into.

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools