Topic

Packing a down jacket

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Packing a down jacket

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Sean Passanisi
    BPL Member

@passanis

Hello. I understand that you want to store a down sleeping bag uncompressed to preserve loft and performance. Is the same true for a down jacket? I'm planning an extended trip out of the country and will be living out of my pack. What is the best way for me to to pack my down hoody? How much compression is acceptable?

Thank you.

michael levi

@m-l

Locale: W-Never Eat Soggy (W)affles

Just let it fill the voids in your pack, dont compress it if your worried about compressing it!

Travis Leanna
    BPL Member

@t-l

Locale: Wisconsin

You can pretty much compress it all you want for short periods of time. How long are you living out of your pack, and how often will you be using the hoody?

I'd say just take it out of its stuff sack each night and it'll be fine.

Steve K
    BPL Member

@skomae

Locale: northeastern US

Don't worry about your down jacket. Treat it with care (don't scrape it on stuff and don't puncture it) but stuff it up as much as you want. A quick tumble in the dryer will take your jacket back to brand new.

Sean Passanisi
    BPL Member

@passanis

Thanks everyone for the input. I'll be on the road for 4 months and won't use the jacket on a daily basis. I'm evaluating whether i can pack the jacket with a fleece vest and down vest in an eagle creek silnylon packing cube. There is some compression, but not the same tightness as a stuff sack.

Miner
    BPL Member

@miner

Locale: SoCAL

I store my down sleeping bag in the trash compactor bag that I also use as a pack liner when its raining so it doesn't get compressed much. I usually throw my lightweight down jacket in there with it since I don't hike with it as I find it too hot even when its snowing. Occasionally, I just stuff it in the edges of the pack into whatever space I find when I just can't motivate myself to take it off earlier in the packing process when the morning is really cold.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools