I got the pad yesterday. Love it. It's perfect size. A little bulky in the pack as a back pad, but i have so few items in there that it makes perfect room and fit. It's lighter then my neoair, won't puncture or leak, I won't have to waist time finding and repairing a leak if there is one, I can use it as a sit pad if needed on breaks or around camp and in an emergency I can pull it out of my pack get away from my pack and assume position on it during a lightning storm. It doesn't seem that bad to lay on, then again, I can sleep on a bed of rocks if I was tired and still be comfortable. Really, I think I made the right choice here. The Neoair was not that great to sleep on. Exspecialy if I rolled over and went a bit off the side of the thing..it was uncomfortable. Time and use will tell how it works out for me, but for my next few trips this is my go to pad. Thanks everyone for input and advice and help
Topic
favorite UL closed cell pad?
Become a member to post in the forums.
- This topic is empty.
I can't use a bulky sleep pad like that unless I carry it strapped onto the outside of my pack. I could carry it inside, but then I would have to use a larger pack. If there is any chance of rain, I roll it up inside my plastic ground sheet while I carry it.
Inflatables are OK (a) if they never leak and (b) if you get used to inflatable and (c) if you never get tired of inflating it.
–B.G.–
"The Neoair was not that great to sleep on. Exspecialy if I rolled over and went a bit off the side of the thing..it was uncomfortable"
To each their own. I find my neoair to be the next best thing to a bed.
"To each their own. I find my neoair to be the next best thing to a bed."
Just how I feel about my Exped Synmat.
it was low 40's out on Sat night and I slept in the hammock and used my ridgerest. I had condensation/sweat accumulate in the valleys of the ridgerest and my feet froze. (I did not pack the right socks or topquilt with footbox for this trip – lesson learned)
My back was warm, until i moved and exposed my moist back, then shivers. how to combat this? I had on wool long sleeve shirt, wool sweater, lightweight topquilt. I dont blame the ridgerest, but would it be beneficial to poke some holes in there to let some heat escape or does that defeat the purpose of the closed cell foam? Should I switch to an inflatable that will breath better.
really I should have had the tarp/bivy setup for this weekend. I didn't think it would get as cold as it did. I usually hammock for summer only. so my issue is not about hammock vs bivy, but what to do about ridgerest condensation. I've never experienced this before with a ridgerest. I am a moderate warm sleeper.
Become a member to post in the forums.

