Topic

Fire Pot and Titanium Windscreen Kit

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Commerce Gear Deals Fire Pot and Titanium Windscreen Kit

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 29 total)
  • Author
    Dan Yeruski
    BPL Member

@zelph

Locale: www.bplite.com

The Fire Pot starts out as the mug you see on the left. On the right is the finished kit inside a Tyvek stuff sack. Total weight of kit is 220 grams/7.6 ounces

photo FirePotTiConeSale002_zps44f6d10d.jpg

I begin the modification of the mug by cutting off the handle and adding a modified Light My fire Grandpas Fire fork as the new handle. I also add a heavy duty ridgeline to the side of the pot at the 2 cup level as a place for the pot to be supported by the titanium cone when using the Modified StarLyte Burner when alcohol is used as fuel.

photo FirePotTiConeSale005_zps1c3adc17.jpg

This is what the pot looks like when resting inside the cone in the alcohol or Esbit burn mode:

photo FirePotTiConeSale_zpsf4625d9a.jpg

This is what it looks like when the cone is in the wood /twig burn mode with stainless steel cross pot support centered by means of half notches Notches secure the support in all directions.

photo FirePotTiConeSale016_zpsd9b4ea2d.jpg

A stainless steel fire grate is resting on 2 twigs that will allow central air flow to the vertical stack of twigs. The stack will be top lit. One load of twigs will boil 2 cups of water easily. The stainless steel rings is hand held for use in stacking a load of twigs prior to placing it on the fire grate.

photo FirePotTiConeSale010_zps4654185f.jpg
     photo FirePotTiConeSale012_zpsc77f0c09.jpg

Three different types of fuel can be used, wood, alcohol and solid fuel Esbit tablets.

photo FirePotTiConeSale009_zps458d5549.jpg

A stainless steel ground protection sheet is provided when burning wood;

photo FirePotTiConeSale008_zpsf4604427.jpg

Tyvek sleeves are provided for storage of the grate, pot support and cone:

photo FirePotTiConeSale007_zps3f36c38b.jpg

These are all the items contained in the kit:

Everything you see there packs neatly inside the pot.

photo FirePotTiConeSale017_zps56a6f4d5.jpg

1 – Stainless steel pot , 3-1/2 cup capacity with lid and Fire Fork handle that can be used to roast hot dogs/marshmallows , fish etc. Weight = 3.8 oz/108 grams

1 – Titanium windscreen/pot support. Weight = 0.8 oz/24 grams

1 – Stainless steel ground protection sheet. Weight 0.5 oz./15 grams

1 Stainless steel cross shaped pot support w/cover for the wood burning mode. Weight 0.7 oz/21 grams

1 Stainless steel grate w/cover. Weight 0.2 oz/7 grams

1 Stainless steel twig stacking ring. Weight 0.2 oz/8 grams

1 Modified StarLyte Burner w/lid. Weight 0.5 oz/16 grams

1 – Round tray for burning Esbit. Weight 0.1 oz/5 grams

2 -Tyvek stuff sacks (one for entire kit and one for the Ti cone windscreen/pot support)

Total weight of kit = 7.6 ounces/220 grams

A video I made a few weeks ago

Cost of kit shipped to CONUS only = $79.95 = $4.95 S&H

Sale is offered to viewers of backpackinglight.com only.

I have only 6 kits available.

Dan Yeruski
    BPL Member

@zelph

I have 5 kits left.

I can ship to European countries if you send me a PM with your location so I can get actual cost for your area. I will then send a paypal invoice to you.

Dan Yeruski
    BPL Member

@zelph

I like wood as my go to fuel :-)

Fire Pot got it’s name because?

Dan Yeruski
    BPL Member

@zelph

I have 4 kits remaining.

Reminder: The Titanium Windscreen/Pot Support is made by TD.

For you folks out there that like wood as your fuel this is a super deal.

Lightest stainless steel 3 cup capacity pot on the planet :-)

Dan Yeruski
    BPL Member

@zelph

I have 3 remaining.

Dan @ Durston Gear
    BPL Member

@dandydan

Locale: Canadian Rockies

Awesome kit. Unlike most multi fuel setups, it's actually darn good at every fuel. It's a dream to use for alcohol and wood.

Roger Munsey
    BPL Member

@8100lt

Locale: Cincinnati, Ohio

Dan,

Just received my kit today and I am impressed!
    Really like the removable handle that can be used
    with a stick for fire pit use. It’s going with me on the
    next outing!

THANKS!
    Roger

Dan Yeruski
    BPL Member

@zelph

Roger, I'll try to get a video up showing how I use the Fire Fork handle to cook hot dogs. You need to slit the ends of the dogs so the pressure will exit the ends and not split the skin where the fork enters.

I'll also send you an email with a link to a photo album that shows how to stack and light twigs. There are videos also that show some "tricks" on successful wood burning.

Dan Durston, I sent your Titanium kit out today.

I have 2 kits remaining.

Ken Larson
    BPL Member

@kenlarson

Locale: Western Michigan

Dan…
    Have you conducted tests to determine the boiling time for 2 cups of 70*F water using your StarLyte Original and Modified stoves using S-L-X, HEET, Sunnyside 834
    or Everclear 190?

Do you have that data available?

Dan Yeruski
    BPL Member

@zelph

Ken, have not conducted those tests but will do them tomorrow. I have Sunnyside, HEET and Everclear. I'll strive to do 3 tests for each fuel. It will take most of the day and hope to have the results posted by the end of the day. I'll use the Fire Pot and the titanium cone windscreen.

I have only one kit left.

Nick Gatel
    BPL Member

@ngatel

Locale: Southern California

I don't like to cook with wood, but that sure is a nice looking system.

James DeGraaf
    BPL Member

@jdegraaf

Locale: Bay Area

well, i held out for so long. then I placed an order. I hope that last kit is mine!
    Thanks,
    James

Dan Yeruski
    BPL Member

@zelph

All kits have been sold. Thank you to all that have purchased.

It was a fun project. Trail Designs did a fine job as usual on the construction of the Ti cone. They are not in agreement to make a cone for the stainless steel pot as part of their offerings on their site.

James got the last one.

I won't be offering this kit again.

I have in the works a titanium windscreen that incorporates a principle of focusing the flame pattern under the pot in a whirlwind fashion. You may have seen the aluminum version on my blog/website. There is always a better way to accomplish 2 cups of boiling water LOL.

Sorry, I was not able to complete the boil tests. I'll continue them today.

Dan Yeruski
    BPL Member

@zelph

Here are the results using 1/2 ounce Sunnyside Denatured Alcohol per test. Fuel measured out with 1 ounce graduated medicine cup.

2 cups of water in the Fire Pot. Starting temperature of water 70 degrees. Calm conditions in my garage.

All surfaces were allowed to cool before starting next test.

Modified StarLyteBurner

1 – Boil 9:30

Flame out 12:00 min.

2 – Boil 9:30

Flame out 11:42 min.

3 – Boil 9:30

Flame out 10:40 min.

StarLyte burner regular

1 Boil 7:47

Flame out 9:30 min.

2 Boil 7:30

Flame out 9:38 min.

3.-Boil 7:17

Flame out 9:19 min.

The video shows how I was able to see when the flame went out. Click on the photo below to view video:

video 2011-09-15101952_zps0f7b24b4.mp4

Ken Larson
    BPL Member

@kenlarson

Thanks for all the work you have put into this project. I believe you have engineered a winner!

Here is a sampling of my data that might add food for thought for what it is worth……

NOTE: Cookie Sheet 2x thickness for Base that the stoves and Sidewinder Caldera Cone rested upon that would influence data comparison.

Stove Test Data

Dan Yeruski
    BPL Member

@zelph

Thank you Ken!
    I like doing comparison testing when I can. I appreciate your input and time to do some testing and posting of your results. Your numbers are very much food for thought. Makes me want to ask…..why does the StarLyte give better results compared to the 12-10 that was engineered to function in an enclosed environment? Sometimes I think the original cone was better because it was made without the cut-out for pot/mug handles. I have not done any real research on the original but seems to stick in the back of my mind that was the case?????

I think if we did testing on the ground/earth results would be better due to radiant heat causing premature expenditure of fuel especially for the 12-10. The absorbing material inside the StarLytes hold back that expenditure. The glass that I used for a table top did get very warm during the testing and had to wipe it down with cold water to prepare for the next test.

The weather here in Illinois was too hot to do further testing today. My wife has banned me from doing tests in the house. Once in a while I sneak a few tests in when she's not home ;-)

One of the interesting things to come about with this kit design is the pot's ability to absorb heat with only half the pot being supported by the cone. This allows for a shorter cone and to be easily stored inside the pot. The ridgeline being at the 2 cup capacity mark works out really nice. In a previous video I bring attention to the fact that the upper portion of the pot is being subjected to heat coming off the holes in the cone and that there is no heat loss via the exposed portion of the pot. It's interesting that no one had made any comments of agreement or disagreement to that fact.

Ken, what brand name fuel did you use?

Note: total burn time of the 12-10 versus StarLyte was 1 minute less. It's burning much hotter for what it's worth to others that might be interested in statistics.

Ken Larson
    BPL Member

@kenlarson

To answer you alcohol question:

alcohol

Here are some more test data that might prove interesting to you:

Test Data

Dan Yeruski
    BPL Member

@zelph

I bet you were a little apprehensive when the Whitebox started to "roar" Reminds me of a SuperCat in action. 1/2 ounce of fuel consumed in 4 min and 2 cups of water boiled LOL The SuperCat was my inspiration for making one piece stoves.

The StarLyte is proving itself a winner.

The outdoor temperatures here in the Midwest has prevented any further testing for me:( Thanks for your data Ken.

Dan @ Durston Gear
    BPL Member

@dandydan

Locale: Canadian Rockies

Ken, were your 12-10 tests without the stakes like the Starlyte tests? Your post indicates this, but perhaps you actually used the 12-10 in the original manner in which it was intended (with the stakes)?

Regardless, I get similar results. With the original Starlyte I get similar boil times as the 12-10, slightly longer total burn and all the advantages that come with the Starlyte (no stakes, store fuel inside, spillproof, lights easy in winter).

Thanks for sending that kit Dan! It's gonna be great.

Dan Yeruski
    BPL Member

@zelph

I was able to sneak in 3 tests this evening while my wife was out and about LOL. In the kitchen, calm conditions, 70 degree starting water temperatures and I used 1/2 ounce of Everclear 190 proof alcohol. 2 cups of water in the Stainless steel "Fire Pot" I used the Regular StarLyte Burner.

1. Boil 7:45 and Flame Out at 10:00 min.

2. Boil 7:35 and Flame out at 10:37 min.

3. Boil 7:40 and Flame out at 10:41 min.

Dan, let me know when it arrives and I'll send a link to some videos and photos on the how to's of vertical stacking and top lighting. The use of phone book paper is also included as my first choice of tinder. It actually is a multi-purpose item.

Rafi Harzahav
    Spectator

@rhz10

Locale: SF Bay Area

Dan

Did you find that the Everclear produced more soot at the bottom of the pot compared to the other fuels?

Thanks

Dan Yeruski
    BPL Member

@zelph

I didn't pay attention to the bottom of my pot while using Everclear but did notice that the Sunnyside denatured alcohol produced it's usual discoloration which I describe as a "varnish" type deposit. It is very thin and hard, not sooty. When I do 3 more tests(modified burner) with Everclear I will start off with a clean pot bottom and watch for the deposit if any to accumulate.

This is a photobucket video I made this morning to show you what the bottom of the pot looks like after doing 6 test with denatured and 3 with Everclear.

Click on the photo to activate the video

video 2011-09-17235050_zpsbffc79e8.mp4

Brittany W

@quasarr

Locale: Southeast

WOW! I love this kit, zelph! Too bad I missed it. I've been looking for a nice, compact kit that has a handle or pot grippers.

Dan Yeruski
    BPL Member

@zelph

Hi Brittany, I can put together a kit minus the titanium windscreen for you. Let me know.

Brittany W

@quasarr

Locale: Southeast

How much would that cost? Any chance Caldera would make a cone for this pot? I also don't need the wood/esbit options.

Unfortunately I don't have a lot of MYOG capability right now, as I'm moving to a pretty small apartment.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 29 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools