Topic

Family Friendly BPL Outing this Labor Day Weekend –

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Hiking Partners / Group Trips Family Friendly BPL Outing this Labor Day Weekend –

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Manfred
    BPL Member

@orienteering

We reserved campsites for 12 people for Friday night, Saturday night and Sunday night, replacing our OWT hike .

Friday, 8/30: Castle Rock Trail Camp (2.3 miles from parking)
    Saturday, 8/31: Waterman Gap Trail Camp (7.6 miles from Castle Rock Trail Camp)
    Sunday, 9/1: Jay Camp (8.4 miles from Waterman Gap Trail Camp)
    Monday, 9/2: Hike to Waddell Beach (either 8.9 miles via Mt. Mc Abee or 12.3 miles via Golden Cascade, Silver Fall and Berry Fall).

People can hike all the way from the Skyline (Castle Rock) to the Sea (Waddell Beach) or any segment.

Please reply to this message if you would like to participate. You don’t need to have children to come along – just be family friendly.

We will provide four Garmin Rino (GPS + Walkie Talkie) that will allow several sub-groups to hike at their own speed and still stay in contact with each other in case groups want to do their own thing–with the route available on the unit. The units will also have all geocaches along the route pre-loaded so the kids can have some extra fun with geocaching along the trail.

Best Regards,

Manfred & Michelle

Participants:

Manfred – adult
    Michelle – adult
    Elisabeth – child
    Hannah – child
    Natalie – child
    Kat P – adult
    Jeremy – adult (starting at Jay Camp)
    Angela – adult (starting at Jay Camp)
    Kristin – adult
    Brock – child
    Danny – adult (only at Castle Rock Trail Camp)

Manfred
    BPL Member

@orienteering

Just in case anyone is wondering about transportation.

We will have a car at Castle Rock and a car at Rancho del Oso (Waddell Beach). Kat will take Michelle and our kids back to Castle Rock after Michelle drops our minivan at Rancho del Oso Friday morning. I will drive to Castle Rock in the late afternoon with our second car. The minivan sits 8 which gives us space to take additional hikers back to wherever they joined us.

This should be a fun trip.

Manfred

Steven Paris
    BPL Member

@saparisor

Locale: Pacific Northwest

Wish I lived in the Bay area, it sounds like a great trip!

Have fun!

Kattt
    BPL Member

@kattt

Looking forward to this. Nice not to have to drive far..
    I have only hiked the last ( western) few miles of this, and it's right in my back yard.
    Thanks for putting this trip together Manfred!

Manfred
    BPL Member

@orienteering

We currently have three adults and three children going. Feel free to join us for any part of the journey from Skyline to Sea – there are still six spots open.

Temperatures during the days are forecasted for the high 60s/low 70s while the nights are forcasted to be in the mid 50s.

Enjoy your Labor Day Weekend,

Manfred

Jeremy and Angela
    BPL Member

@requiem

Locale: Northern California

Hi Manfred,

Angela and I would be able to drop in for an overnighter on the last leg (we have a friend's wedding on Saturday). Should we just try to track you guys down at Jay Camp on Sunday?

Thanks!
    Jeremy

Manfred
    BPL Member

@orienteering

Jeremy,

That is great. We are looking forward to see you and Angela in Jay Camp on Sunday. We should be hard to miss – three little girls with some adults. We will come from Waterman Gap, which is 8 miles. So we could be there around lunch time.

See you at Big Basin,

Manfred

Manfred
    BPL Member

@orienteering

We now have five adults and three children going. Feel free to join us for any part of the journey from Skyline to Sea – there are four spots remaining (+ 2 spots from Castle Rock to Big Basin).

Temperatures during the days are forecasted for the high 60s/low 70s while the nights are forcasted to be in the mid 50s.

Manfred

Jeremy and Angela
    BPL Member

@requiem

Locale: Northern California

Sounds great, see you guys there!

Manfred
    BPL Member

@orienteering

We will be 8 people tonight and will be joined by 2 more on Sunday in Big Basin. Altogether we are now six adults and four children. Feel free to join us for any part of the journey from Skyline to Sea – there are two spots remaining for the whole journey (+ 2 spots from Castle Rock to Big Basin tonight and tomorrow night).

Temperatures during the days are forecasted for the high 60s/low 70s while the nights are forecasted to be in the mid 50s.

Manfred

Manfred
    BPL Member

@orienteering

My wife and my kids are now hopefully already exploring the "caves" at Castle Rock. I will drive out there after work.

We are now 11 people, but still have space, if you decide to join us for Labor Day Weekend. Just let me know before I leave the office :)

Have a great Labor Day Weekend,

Manfred

Manfred
    BPL Member

@orienteering

Thanks to the BPL members who made this a fun trip. Here is a little trip report.

We should definitively do this again. For now I will target the Ohlone Wilderness Trail during Spring Break. If other people are interested we might target something before that.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools