Topic

Tent trade-offs and considerations

  • This topic is empty.
Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 32 total)
PostedAug 26, 2013 at 12:03 am

In the search for a solo tent I have read a ton of awesome info on this site. In general,it seems like you cant go wrong with any tent from the usual suspects.

I live in New York so I hike in the Adirondacks 90% of the time. I will go out rain or shine. Condensation and bugs are definitely a concern. Freestanding isn't terribly important as treeline and soft ground is never too far away. I also only use 1 hiking pole. Cuben is out because of cost. I also like to go out in the winter so a tent that is still light but will withstand the winter is a bonus but not a dealbreaker. Here are my thoughts on some of the various offerings.

MLD or other mid+bug bivy – seems like a really good option. Almost universally liked. Roomy. Versatile. Tent exterior is exposed when opened though. Not sure how much of an issue this can be. Very long lead time (this seems to go for most mid manufacturers)

SMD Wild Oasis – another pretty good option. Again, it seems like the interior is pretty exposed when the flap is open. Also looks like the pole can get in the way when entering/leaving. Very light but smaller. Maybe a little too small.

TT Contrail – Another almost universally liked tent. Headroom isn't much of a concern (Im 5'7" on a good day). Pitch seems a little fiddly although still not bad. Vestibule overhangs the inner so it can be opened in overhead rain. Not sure how it does in winter. (Yama mountain gear cirriform is a similar design so I would group it with the contrail)

TT Moment – Easy pitch. Roomy with large, protected vestibules. Seems like it would be suitable for winter if need be (maybe not storm conditions). Heavy compared to others although outer can be pitched separately. Maybe some weight savings can be realized with a bug bivy instead.

I might be missing a few others…

I am also curious how much of a weight penalty people are usually willing to put up with for some luxuries ie the protected vestibules and ease of entry.

PostedAug 26, 2013 at 12:46 am

Fiddly Contrail…
I have seen comments from folk that just can’t get it to work after many attempts and from others that find it rather easy to do.
If you have a bit of a feel about setting up tents and some practice you too will be able to do it like this :
Contrail set up
The Moment is easier but it still takes me 50 sec to set up.
franco@tarptent

Derek M. BPL Member
PostedAug 26, 2013 at 1:56 am

If you're considering the TT Moment then you might as well consider the TT Rainbow as well (it's got very nice interior space!)… Or even the TT Double Rainbow if you'd like to live like a king when going solo, but might also need to house another person from time to time. Just a thought.

Sorry if I'm not exactly helping you narrow down your options ;)

Ron Bell / MLD BPL Member
PostedAug 26, 2013 at 9:18 am

Dang Nabit, TT's Franco beat me to the sale pitch again ;-) haha Mids are about 4 weeks out right now-

PostedAug 26, 2013 at 10:24 am

"MLD or other mid+bug bivy – seems like a really good option. Almost universally liked. Roomy. Versatile. Tent exterior is exposed when opened though. Not sure how much of an issue this can be."

If you're in a Duomid as a solo hiker, then not really much of an issue at all unless it's a driving, sideways rain, as you'll set up your sleeping bag behind the center pole to the back. One of the reasons I've always opted for the Duo instead of the solo mids.

Ross Bleakney BPL Member
PostedAug 26, 2013 at 12:25 pm

I think you've mentioned some of the trade-offs inherent in a tent. I'll mention some other ones, as well as other factors to consider:

A lot of non-free standing tents are best oriented to the wind in one or two directions. This limits your tent location. Likewise, if you make a mistake in tent location (e. g. not realize a root is in the way until you've set it up) then it is easy to fix with a free standing tent (undo the stakes and rotate or move). With a non-free standing tent, you pretty much have to start over.

Tents that allow for the use of trekking poles don't require the use of trekking poles. If you buy poles for these tents (because you don't use a trekking pole) then the pole(s) tend to be very light for their strength. This is because the forces are applied from tip to tip, as opposed to along the whole pole (as it is with a curved pole). This is especially nice because carbon fiber can handle that type of stress really well, and does poorly with the other type of stress (which is why aluminum poles are more common on dome tents). If you do use a trekking pole, than the pole itself is very strong. This is why a Mid (or tipi) style tent is very storm worthy. It sheds wind fairly well and the single pole is very strong (if it does fail, it is likely to occur with your stakes/pegs — which is basically user failure).

Consider your own preference for internal design. Personally, I spend a lot of time in my tent just lying there. This happens a lot in buggy areas. So, I prefer a lot of space above my head. That is why I like a Contrail type tent over a Mid. The Skyscape Tents (by Six Moons) are a bit of a compromise, but has plenty of room above the head.

Some tents have the pole(s) inside, while others are outside. I prefer outside, especially for non-free standing tents (which often require a bit of fiddling with the guy lines to get just right).

PostedAug 26, 2013 at 2:57 pm

TT's Franco beat me to the sale pitch again ;-)

You shouldn't have gone to bed early.

PostedAug 26, 2013 at 4:14 pm

I had a Contrail for 3 years and sold it for a SW Moment. Great decision B/c the Moment has so many good features and options absent in the Contrail. Also the Moment's shape is very aerodynamic, unlike the Contrail.

I'd get the new Moment DW with both inner tents if you do any winter camping.

USA Duane Hall BPL Member
PostedAug 26, 2013 at 5:18 pm

I have a very light cuben/netting tent. The down side is it requires a large area to be staked out. I may sell it and look for something a little heavier, up to a pound I guess. :(
Duane

PostedAug 26, 2013 at 8:36 pm

Thanks for all the input guys. Unfortunately when I told my friend that I was thinking of getting a solo tent and he seemed offended that I didnt want to get a 2 person tent. My girlfriend might also start coming on trips but never expressed the desire till I mentioned a solo tent. :X May have to reconsider.

SMD Haven+Net – Tons of positive feedback. Very light for a two man tent. Can be split easily. Available now. On the expensive side. Poles look like they might get in the way.

Lightheart Duo – Weight seems about right. Very roomy. I like the integrated design. Can also add a wedge which seems very useful. Good headroom.

TT Stratospire 1/2 – I like the offset poles by the doors so they are out of the way. Protected vestibules are nice. Fly only option is nice. Very large footprint.

TT Double Rainbow – Smaller footprint than the SS2. Free standing option. Maybe some splashback issues?

No floorless tents according to the people I hike with :(

Any others I am missing?

*Also my friend is skeptical of using mids and other trekking pole supported tents, especially in the winter. Anyone have some good videos to prove him wrong? I found a couple on youtube but nothing extreme or for winter use.

PostedAug 26, 2013 at 10:11 pm

I knew of Andrew Skurka's trek but totally forgot to mention it to my friend. Ill have to forward this along. Thanks for reminding me!

PostedAug 26, 2013 at 11:09 pm

Also forgot about this tent. Seems like a palace for two people. Requires a really large site though it seems.

Derrick Whit.e BPL Member
PostedAug 27, 2013 at 7:55 am

Read Skurka's gear commentary and wonder what are h3 smells? Googling didn't help.

Thanks

Derrick

PostedAug 27, 2013 at 8:47 am

I used a new sil cirriform and 1.25 combination last week on the NPT from Benson to Blue Mountain. I thought it was perfect. It did well in wet conditions – this last Thursday was a good test (I was near Stephens Pond). You can sit up in it with the bug tent, but your head is touching the netting. When the bugs go away, it would be easy to pitch the cirriform up higher. I also hike with one pole and carry a fixed length nanolite easton pole for the rear of the tarp.

A 1/4 inch foam pad like the ones that Lawson sells completely eliminates any sliding on the silnylon floor.

I also took an MLD Exodus out for the first time. What a beautiful pack.

The NPT was wonderful too!

PostedAug 27, 2013 at 8:54 am

I wanted to add the sagging was very minimal. When I purchased the tarp I was concerned about this, but the cat cut and design of the cirriform makes for a very tight, stable pitch. You also get about 6 inches of view on both sides, between the bug tent and tarp to enjoy the late night and early morning views :)

I guess that's enough, I am similarly intrigued by the other options you mentioned, especially the mids, and am sure they would have done well for me last week too.

In particular, I had a hard time deciding between the sil cirriform and the patrol shelter. Patrol shelter w/ bug net seems like a great combination. The lack of a zipper makes the patrol shelter nicely simple and perhaps more durable.

PostedAug 27, 2013 at 1:31 pm

My Scarp 2 is roomy for two and will fit "3 consenting adults" head-to-toe.

But you still "need" a solo tent and don't let anybody pressure you out of getting it.
Solo backpacking is one of life's true joys.

PostedAug 27, 2013 at 5:36 pm

Currently leaning toward the Stratospire. I like the ability to completely roll up the doors in an overhead rain and the dual vestibules. Shedding the liner for the winter is also very attractive. Its a big tent but seems to hold up well in the wind from what I've watched/read.

I'm also thinking I might be able to get away with the SS1. Since the poles are offset you can fit two pads in it with the heads on opposite ends. I could also pare it down to just the outer if I ever go solo. ~23 ounces according to Henry Shires.

Everyone says the SS2 is huge as well, but comparing to the LH Duo and the TT DR its the same length and ~20 inches wider due to the vestibules.

I guess I'm playing the "one tent for every situation game". Sorry guys

Stephen M BPL Member
PostedAug 27, 2013 at 5:49 pm

Hi Philip,

I have used my Ss1 on about 8 trips if not more and I definitely would not want to use for two.

Cheers,

Stephen

Stephen M BPL Member
PostedAug 27, 2013 at 6:09 pm

Hi Philip,

The Ss2 would be perfect between 2, if you wanted to use it solo you could get a solo inner also.

M B BPL Member
PostedAug 27, 2013 at 6:25 pm

I know you said cuben was out because of the cost.

But it is worth it IMO.
Doesnt matter what shelter.

No stretch, no sag, and its handleable (silnylon is slippery as hell), field repairable with ducttape. Permanent repairs with cuben tape.

And no messy ugly silicone sealant making your pretty new shelter actually waterproof.

The fact that its lighter is just icing on the cake.

PostedAug 27, 2013 at 7:45 pm

MB, I do not disagree with any of your points. Most of them affect use-ability, not functionality.

I have too many expensive hobbies as it is so Id rather get a reasonably lightweight silny shelter and use the saved money elsewhere.

J-L BPL Member
PostedAug 27, 2013 at 9:30 pm

I've used my Haven and net tent in some torrential thunderstorms. I was the only one in my group to stay dry :) I don't find the poles to be in the way and the carbon fiber pole SMD sells is actually very sturdy. The drip free entry is great. Because of how the tarp is designed, I only seam sealed the front and rear mid-panel tie outs. I imagine it as being in between the SS1 and 2 in both weight and available space. The vestibules are a little small.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 32 total)
Loading...