First – I get the impression that many here favor a non piezo stove for a few reasons – weight savings being one, reliability and versatility being others.
I was fiddling with my new jet butane lighter which is bigger and heavier than a mini bic that I usually carry – and other than the gadget factor was wondering whether it was worth taking on a trip. But the thought occurred to me that even a mini bic likely weighs more than the piezo ignitor on, say, my Snow Peak GS-100a gigapower. A bit of research seems to indicate a piezo for the SP is .06 ounces. A mini Bic based on the weight of a three pack is around .40 ounces (subtracted a bit for packaging so this is a guess, albeit a ballpark one). when you're at fractional ounces it would seem like the versatility of using a mini Bic for other things – and altitude performance, wet performance, etc… make it a clear winner even if weight savings is a red herring…
I have a backup fire source like most (firesteel and petroleum jelly cotton balls) – but would not rely on matches for example as my primary option due to wind mostly.
I will say that I keep my Gigapower for a couple reasons even thought I have a Litemax that I use more – it is a dead reliable stove for my Scout son when he gets stove qualified – and the auto ignitor for a younger scout is arguably easier and more reliable than a lighter.
Still – I was curious if anyone uses something other than a mini bic regularly and with what kind of stove? I get the sense some alcohol users employ steels rather than a lighter as they can be hard to light without the risk of burning your hand with a lighter.

