Topic

Moment DW solid liner

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Moment DW solid liner

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    Jim Klazek
    Spectator

@klazek

This option is now available and up on the Tarptent site.

Eric Blumensaadt
    BPL Member

@danepacker

Locale: Mojave Desert

But after spending $9,651 for a new HVAC unit for my home yesterday I'll wait 'til November to order mine.

As I mentioned in the Winter Hiking page I think the Moment DW will make a very good winter solo tent with the X-ing pole for snowload and help with high winds.
    Mine will also get a heavier duty main pole for winter.

Now to sell my SW Moment and all its extras. (Already got a buyer.)

SPIRIDON Papapetroy
    BPL Member

@spotlight

I am a bit confused about this liner. Is it the same as this one http://www.tarptent.com/momentliner.html that was already available? In the second photo of the moment dw product page here http://www.tarptent.com/momentdw.htmlSolid
    it seems that the solid interior replaces the mesh inner.

David Ure

@familyguy

Nm

Franco Darioli
    Spectator

@franco

Locale: Gauche, CU.

The thread heading caused that confusion.
    The original Moment (hybrid single wall with a mesh door/floor/side mesh attached) had an optional liner that could be added to cover the upper part of the shelter.
    The new DW (Double Wall ) version has the option of having the inner part (the bit Americans call tent) either in mesh or white fabric (solid) as seen above.

So this is the Moment DW fly with the mesh inner:
    Moment DW mesh inner

Same fly with the solid inner:
    Moment DW solid inner

Forget about the liner, that was for the original Moment

SPIRIDON Papapetroy
    BPL Member

@spotlight

I bought my Moment DW in May, so it must be the first version of the DW. Do you think it easy to remove the mesh inner and replace it with the new solid interior?

Franco Darioli
    Spectator

@franco

Yes, it can be un-clipped in a minute..
    That is one of the nice features of the Moment DW (same for the other TT double wall shelters)
    You can set it up and take it down as one unit or fly only with the inner removed.
    To remove the inner just twist the mitten hook out of the ring, no need to press that tongue.

Alex Wallace
    BPL Member

@feetfirst

Locale: Sierra Nevada North

Franco, Do you know how much the solid inner weighs? What about the mesh version for comparison?

I apologize for the thread drift, but I noticed that Tarptent recently shortened the pole section length (18" vs. 20") for the Moment DW's arch pole; are there any corresponding changes to the shelter to accommodate this new shorter section length pole? Will it work with Moment DWs that originally came with a 20" section arch pole? Thanks.

Franco Darioli
    Spectator

@franco

Alex,
    the new 18" pole has an extra section, apart from that it is compatible with the current and previous versions of the fly.
    The solid inner is about 2oz (from memory) heavier than the mesh.
    So around 11oz for the mesh and 13 oz for the solid one.

Alex Wallace
    BPL Member

@feetfirst

Locale: Sierra Nevada North

Thanks, Franco.

Now I wonder if I should grab the carbon version…

SPIRIDON Papapetroy
    BPL Member

@spotlight

Do i have to first setup the tent in order to replace the mesh with the inner?

Franco Darioli
    Spectator

@franco

This is the Moment fly without any inner:
    Moment fly
    To that you can have attached (or add any time you like) EITHER the mesh (first photo in my post above) OR the solid/white fabric inner (second photo in my post above)
    Usualy you would leave the inner attached during set up or take down but it takes only a minute to separate/attach if you like to do so.
    This is the mesh inner (tent in the USA) by itself :
    Moment mesh inner

Note that the term "liner" used by the OP should be inner or tent.
    This thread is about the Moment DW (Double Wall) , not the original Moment

SPIRIDON Papapetroy
    BPL Member

@spotlight

In a place with too much condensation, would you suggest using the mesh liner or the solid interior?

Franco Darioli
    Spectator

@franco

This is how I see it.
    If with high humidity you also have some air flow (mild wind) then the mesh inner may help in keeping your stuff inside it dry or say reduce dampness.

If on the other hand you also get strong winds or very still air, the solid (fabric) inner will give more protection and ,because the fabric breaths well but is also water repellent , it will let your perspiration pass through but protect you from possible drips from the underside of the fly.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools