Topic

Minarets Loop

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Member Trip Reports Minarets Loop

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Chris S
    BPL Member

@bigsea

Locale: Truckee, CA

Julie and I just got back from a short trip to the Minarets with our friend Galen. After a shuttle ride from the Mammoth Mountain Main Lodge to Agnew Meadows, we were on the trail by around 9:30am.

After passing through Agnew Meadows, we began the gentle descent down to the Middle Fork San Joaquin River. Shortly after passing Olaine Lake, we made a left at the trail junction, heading up about 600 feet towards Shadow Lake. We took short break near the outlet of the lake and got a glimpse of what the next few days had in store for us.

View from Shadow Lake

At the west end of the lake, we briefly connected with the John Muir Trail before splitting off onto the trail up to Ediza Lake. I was hoping to make it to the lake before stopping for lunch, but we were getting pretty hungry, so we stopped along the creek on the way up to the lake.

Leftover pizza – Yum!

Shortly after lunch, we arrived at the lake and made our way around to the other end. We found a relatively secluded spot to set up camp above the southwestern shore of the lake.

Ediza Lake
    Arriving at Ediza Lake

There was plenty of daylight left, so I headed up to check out Iceberg Lake. When I arrived, I was surprised to see that there was only one group of people around and they were heading up to Cecile Lake.

Iceberg Lake
    Iceberg Lake

Trail to Cecile Lake
    Trail to Cecile Lake from Iceberg Lake

After I got back, it was just about time for dinner. There was a perfect spot to eat just a short walk from camp on a granite bench overlooking Ediza Lake.

Ediza Lake View From Camp
    Ediza Lake view near camp

The next morning I was awake pretty early, so I wandered around and took a few more photos while waiting for the others to rise.

Camp from above
    Camp from above

Minarets, Ritter and Banner
    The Minarets, Mt Ritter and Banner Peak

The destination for the day was Thousand Island Lake. As we were getting ready to head out, someone that was camping close by approached us to see if we had seen his son’s pair of boots that had disappeared. I’m not sure if they ended up finding the boots, but fortunately they were on the final day of their 8 day trip and his son did have camp shoes he could hike out in. Not too long after he left, I was reorganizing the bear canister and noticed there were 3 thumbtacks that somehow ended up in our bag of dehydrated pasta sauce. We couldn’t make any sense of it. The only explanation that we could think of was that some punk(s) were going around and messing with people’s stuff. Hopefully that’s not the case, but I still can’t think of any other explanation.

After breakfast we finally hit the trail. On the way out went back up to Iceberg Lake so Julie and Galen could check it out. Once again, there was nobody else there so we spent a little time relaxing there before continuing on.

Heading up to Iceberg Lake
    Heading up to Iceberg Lake

Group Shot at Iceberg Lake
    Group Shot at Iceberg Lake

Wildflowers at Iceberg Lake
    Wildflowers at Iceberg Lake

Not surprisingly, once we got back to the JMT the trail was pretty busy. Once we got to Garnet Lake we stopped for lunch just north of the foot bridge on the eastern end. As we were sitting there, a couple of strange looking fellows approached – it was Andrew F. and Manfred K. hiking the JMT. It was about 1:30pm and they were about 16 miles into their day, while we had only hiked about 6 miles so far. We chatted with them for a bit and then they were off to Reds Meadow with cheeseburgers on their minds.

Garnet Lake
    Garnet Lake

After lunch we left the JMT and the crowds as we hiked along the northern shore of the Garnet Lake and over the saddle to the west end of Thousand Island Lake.

North Side of Garnet Lake
    Use trail on north side of Garnet Lake

Saddle between Garnet Lake and Thousand Island Lake
    Saddle between Garnet Lake and Thousand Island Lake

View of Thousand Island Lake from saddle
    View of Thousand Island Lake from saddle

Once we got to the western end of Thousand Island Lake there was no reason to continue any further. We were near the base of Banner Peak and the shores of one of the most popular lakes in the Sierra, yet there was nobody else around.

Banner from west end of Thousand Island Lake
    Banner Peak from west end of Thousand Island Lake

Camp at night
    Camp at night

The next morning I got up to try to take some sunrise pictures and then fell back asleep on a granite slab until Julie and Galen emerged from the tent.

Sunrise on Banner Peak
    Sunrise on Banner Peak

Once we finally got moving, we hiked along the north shore of Thousand Island Lake before connecting with the High Trail/PCT.

Banner from north shore of Thousand Island Lake
    Banner Peak from the north shore of Thousand Island Lake

The High Trail route back to Agnew Meadows was the perfect way to end the trip as we enjoyed sweeping views of the Minarets, Mt Ritter and Banner Peak for much of the way.

David W.
    BPL Member

@davidpcvsamoa

Locale: East Bay, CA

Thanks for sharing Chris. You got some nice shots on that trip. I was in that area earlier this year for the first time and I took the opposite shot you took from Iceberg Lake looking up towards Cecile Lake. I came from the other direction on a day hike, I stopped to have lunch at Cecile and took a shot look down at Iceberg. I can see that I need to finish that loop someday.

DSC00482.jpg
    Iceberg Lake

Your story about the back-country hooligans is discouraging. It would be a shame if someone mistook them for a marauding bear and was carrying bear spray.

Dave T

@davet

It's beautiful out there (2006).

That descent to Iceberg Lake from the south is sketchy on hard snow!

Andrew F

@andrew-f

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area

I'm glad you guys had fun. It was nice to run into you at Garnet Lake… I was pretty jealous of the pizza though!

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools