Topic

Minimal drop shoes -> Regular shoes = back pain?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion Minimal drop shoes -> Regular shoes = back pain?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Miles Barger
    BPL Member

@milesbarger

Locale: West Virginia

I've been wearing zero or near-zero drop shoes every day for two months now. For a few years, I've had a very tight lower back and accompanying pain after standing relatively still or walking slowly (think concert or museum outing). Since going the minimal route, this has almost entirely disappeared.

However, last weekend I was doing a longer-mile day on rocky ground and didn't want to bruise up my feet, so I wore my New Balance Leadville 1210s (they have an 8mm drop). Now my lower back muscles are very tired and sore — I could barely jump rope today at the gym because the impact of each landing made me semi-seize.

Has anyone else experienced this sort of thing from a sudden increase in heel height?

Ozzy McKinney
    Spectator

@porcupinephobia

Locale: PNW

I haven't personally, but it makes sense. It probably really changed your foot fall to something you aren't used to anymore, even if you didn't notice on the hike.

Luke Schmidt
    BPL Member

@cameron

Locale: Alaska

I might have experience this. My back was chronically out of alignment through parts of 2010-2011. It was partly an injury and I did go to a chiropractor some but I did feel like I was better on days where I wore minimal or zero drop shoes compared to days when I was forced to wear dress shoes or boots.

One place that I always got sore in 2008 was the archery range I ran. I'd wear traditional shoes and stand with my toes facing downhill while I supervised the kids shooting so my heals were really, really high. Seems I got a sore back every time I was there.

steven franchuk

@surf

My problem was with arch collapse and heal pain. Haven't had any since I went to flat shoes.

Mike In Socal
    BPL Member

@rcmike

Locale: California

I haven't had that problem when transitioning shoes but I have had it when I've spent a long day running or biking. In my case, the culprit was tight quads. Stretch out your quads and use a foam roller and your lower back pain should subside.

Desert Dweller

@drusilla

Locale: Wild Wild West

Hot tubs, a massage every once in a while….does wonders. Hiking to hot springs, yahoo!

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools