Topic

stove for fire restrictions

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) stove for fire restrictions

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Bill Segraves
    BPL Member

@sbill9000-2

Normally, it's Esbit, alcohol or no-cook, but for an upcoming group trip, I'm going to need to get a canister stove for boiling water and maybe a little simmering. (I gave away my white gas stoves years ago.) Since I'll likely only use this occasionally, I don't necessarily need the lightest or the best, just something that'll be reasonable.

I'm inclined to go with the MSR Pocket Rocket. Does that make sense? Alternatives I should consider? Details, if relevant: short, 2-3 nighter, temps not likely below freezing.

Thanks!

Bill S.

David Noll
    BPL Member

@dpnoll

Locale: Maroon Bells

The pocket rocket will do the job nicely. It's light, cheap and easy to use.

Dena Kelley
    BPL Member

@eagleriverdee

Locale: Eagle River, Alaska

I have an MSR Pocket Rocket and I like it, but if I were in the market right now I would either get a Micro Rocket or a Jetboil. I know, two totally different things. The Micro Rocket because it's a smaller, better version of what I know and use now. The Jetboil because it appears to be the most efficient, quietest and fastest way to boil water (which is all I do- I don't cook in the back country, I just rehydrate my meals). It's heavier than my current system, though. But the Sol Ti would definitely interest me.

And E
    Spectator

@lunchandynner

Locale: Pacific Northwest

I have a spare Snowpeak Gigapower (non peizo) sitting around you can borrow for the trip if you want to save yourself the trouble of spending $35-50 for one time use. How soon do you need it?

It'll only be 2 bucks to send it USPS cheapest method, but don't know how long it'll take to reach you, but USPS is generally pretty quick.

Just shoot me a PM if you wanna borrow it.

michael adamski
    BPL Member

@mikeadamski

This cheap stove is amazing considering the price. I've been recommending it to my scouts. The only tweak mine needed was a little needle nose plier work to even out the arms. $5 to $10 from Amazon.

Bill Segraves
    BPL Member

@sbill9000-2

Thanks to all who replied, and to Andy for the exceptionally generous offer. Unless USFS comes out with helpful clarification about Esbit, this almost certainly won't be the last time I'll need a canister, so I may just bite the bullet, but if not ready to, I'll PM you.

Cheers,

Bill S.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools