Topic

80L backpack..

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) 80L backpack..

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    Greg B
    Spectator

@gbassett

I’m trying to locate anything lightweight in an 80L pack, that is currently in stock.  I’ve been trying to get ahold of Hyperlite Mountain Gear about availability as the Porter 5400 has been out of stock for months.  I’m going to use it for winter backpacking as well as pack rafting, so need the volume.  Any suggestions for available/in-stock packs is greatly appreciated!

Brad P
    Spectator

@brawndo

ULA Catalyst is 75 liters if that’s close enough.

Greg B
    Spectator

@gbassett

thanks Brad!  Definitely an option!

Christian White
    BPL Member

@cwhite1970

The ULA capacity includes everything. Hip belt pockets, side pockets, stretch mesh pocket, etc. The main compartment is only about 50L, so it is similar in capacity to a HMG 2400/3400 or a Gossamer Gear Mariposa. I have one and love it, but I don’t think it’s what you’re looking for.

Greg B
    Spectator

@gbassett

Thanks Christian.  I did notice that and you are right, I’m looking for something similar to the HMG Porter 5400.  Massive volume in the main compartment…

Kevin Babione
    BPL Member

@kbabione

Locale: Pennsylvania

I had to smile when I read the subject of this thread.  When I returned to backpacking after a 30-year hiatus my outdoor-centric brother-in-law told me what packs I needed for my wife and I:  An Arcteryx Bora 80 for me and a Bora 75 for her.  I think my pack weighed 8 pounds empty and on my first trip (pre-BPL) I completely filled that sucker – and could barely move!

I used it on just two trips (so the cost came to about $220 per trip) and finally gave it to my 6’4″ nephew when he was spending two months bopping around Europe and needed a large pack.  He could handle it – I no longer could.

Lyell K
    Spectator

@lyellfork

SWD Big Wild 70

Philip Tschersich
    BPL Member

@philip-ak

Locale: Kodiak Alaska

You can go up to 6300 cu in (103 liters) in a custom Seek Outside pack. It will carry a thousand times better than the HMG with those loads, and you can pick every pocket or pouch location you want plus some fabric choices. Seek Outside Custom Pack Builder

Chris L
    BPL Member

@thechrislundy

Locale: Idaho

I second Seek Outside packs. My wife and I use them for the same purpose you’re looking for – packrafting, winter trips, extended trips with no resupply, etc.

We used HMG 4400 packs for years. They worked ok, but they just weren’t enough volume. If your trips require a bigger pack, then a slightly bigger pack is only ounces heavier and is more efficient – easier to pack and leas junk on the outside to get lost or snag. I bought my wife a porter 5400, and even after using the 4400 for years, it just didn’t work for her. I think the volume overstepped the suspension on that pack.

I bought Seek Outside packs and never looked back. A Porter 5400 with back pocket is over 3 pounds. A stripped down/simple SO pack in X21 is not much heavier. After my wife had a miserable week with the Porter 5400, I got major brownie points when she tried her Seek Outside!

The SWD Big Wild definitely looks intriguing. A little small at 70 liters, but maybe they’d make a custom pack to your size. They made DaveC a 100L version, but I believe he’s working with them on their designs. That suspension looks like a good middle ground.

Luke Schmidt
    BPL Member

@cameron

Locale: Alaska

Seek Outside packs are great. That SWD looks good too.

If nothing else is in stock you might consider calling around to see if anyone has a seconds/prototype they would sell. And check used gear forums, etc.

Also for that type of trip and on short notice you might consider a non-ultra light pack. If you are carrying a lot of gear and doing shorter days then an extra pound or so of pack probably won’t be a huge deal.

Greg B
    Spectator

@gbassett

I’ve ordered two packs, a Seek Outside Divide and a Mountainsmith Lookout 80.  I should have both before the trip and can figure which one I want to use and keep.  Thanks to everyone for the tips and pointers!  I would never have found some of these options on my own!

Philip Tschersich
    BPL Member

@philip-ak

Locale: Kodiak Alaska

When you get your SO, take a look at the setup and fitting videos SO has made. There are a million straps and adjustment options and it can be confusing. Also feel free to post questions here. A lot of us have extensive experience with these packs. Once you get it dialed they are a relative pleasure to carry.

BPLwiia
    Spectator

@bplwiia

Greg B,

Congratulations. Did you order the Divide in the olive XPac-42 or grey XPac -21?

I think you will really like their pack. I’ve had a few of them. The best ever. One of the great features is you can add another bag and simply swap out your Divide bag for a different one. They’re interchangeable. For example, I got the Gila 3,500 and later ordered a Unaweep 6,300 bag. I swap one out for the other. The additional bag is only a marginal cost as you still use your Divide suspension components. I’ve ordered separate bags when they have a sale or when they had their blemish sale once or twice a year. I bought a “blem”  tent and could never find the blem anywhere.

As Philip mentioned, there are excellent videos that show tips on how to attach things to your pack. The gatekeeper system provides unlimited configurations. Just ask away with any questions.

One other thing. You can save 4oz by removing the cross stay. I never use it in any of my SO backpacks. That will get you down to 2lbs 15oz or 2lbs 12oz depending on which XPac weight you ordered. Crazy light.

Greg B
    Spectator

@gbassett

I ordered the Divide.  However while it was in stock and shipping within a week when I ordered, it’s now delayed until February.  This is too late for my upcoming WMS course.  HMG finally had the Poirter 5400 in stock again, so I ordered one and it it scheduled to arrive tomorrow.  I’m going to wait for the Divide to arrive to see what it’s like.  The flexibility of the frame setup is something that is really appealing.  At least I have something for Winter Mountaineering School!  Thanks all for the help, tips and suggestions!

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools