Wow, I wish I had tried this sooner.
I had a trip planned for a few nights around Pine Creek Pass near Bishop, CA where I was expecting warm evenings but cooler nights. I usually roast in my mummy bag in those conditions. A week before my trip I noticed that Enlightened Equipment has an "in stock" selection of quilts that ship out in about 3 days from the date of order. I emailed the owner Tim to see what size rating and quilt I should get for a restless side sleeper in the Sierras. He quickly recommended the 20 degree wide quilt and promised to get it to me before my trip. I immediately placed my order and it shipped two days later (with an email notification), arriving a couple of days before my trip.
As suspected, the nights were fairly warm at bedtime, even at 11,000+ feet. It was so liberating to loosen the foot box and fold the top down over my waist. Later, when it cooled off, I just closed up the footbox and pulled the quilt up over my shoulders. It never got below 40+ degrees, so I can't speak to the temp rating, but I was pretty warm even without a long top. I did wear a beanie to keep my head warm.
For anyone contemplating trying a quilt, give it a try. You can always try it around the house and then return it if you don't like it. I can't recommend Tim at Enlightened Equipment enough. Great customer service, an excellent product, and industry-best pricing (as far as I can tell).

