Topic

Suggestions for post trip return from Kings Canyon to Twin Lakes??

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Trip Planning Suggestions for post trip return from Kings Canyon to Twin Lakes??

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Kurt Achtenhagen
    BPL Member

@kurtlnt-org

Locale: Boulder, CO

A friend and I are doing the Sierra High Route Southbound Aug 31 – Sept 7th. If it all goes really well, we will end up in Kings Canyon National Park. I have no experience hitch hiking on the West Side of the High Sierra. Has anyone attempted this with good results? I have had great results hitching on the East Side, but think Hwy 99 might be a different beast.

Alternatively is there a place within BPL to arrange rides with a local? Or, has anyone turned to Craigslist? We would certainly be willing to pay gas and time for someone to shuttle us.

Any thoughts or wisdom would be greatly appreciated, thank you!

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

Locale: Silicon Valley

The problem is that you intend to end at Roads End, and it is difficult to hitch a ride from there all the way out to Hwy 99, then north, then across the Sierras at Tioga Pass, then north again to Bridgeport and Twin Lakes.

Instead, if you don't exactly end at Roads End, and you head out and over Kearsarge Pass, which brings you to Onion Valley. From there, you ought to be able to hitch a ride down to Independence. From there on the East Side, you can hitch or bus up to Bridgeport.

–B.G.–

Kurt Achtenhagen
    BPL Member

@kurtlnt-org

Locale: Boulder, CO

Thanks Bob!

I like your solution to the logistical problem at hand. Really the problem is we are focused on the SHR with its end at Road's End… A little creativity south of Mather Pass, and I think we get the best of all worlds. And, I have never been over Kearsarge Pass before!!

Thanks for your reply!

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools