Topic

seeking help from geeky iPhone map users

  • This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
Amy Lauterbach BPL Member
PostedAug 19, 2013 at 12:57 pm

I need to update our article about using the iPhone for mapping while backpacking

The article is accurate for iPhone 4, but wildly inaccurate for iPhone 5. I could use some help.

SUMMARY

  • The ATT iPhone 4 is a terrific backpacking tool when the SIM is locked or removed.
  • The ATT iPhone 5, with SIM locked or removed, has egregious battery drain. Certainly this must be a bug that Apple should fix.
  • The ATT iPhone 5, with SIM unlocked, in backcountry conditions (no ATT signal, Airplane mode off so that GPS works), is usable for day hikes. But it is not viable for backpacking unless the user remembers to engage airplane mode after each GPS read. With no signal and Airplane=OFF, there is a baseline battery drain of ~1% per hour.
  • The Verizon iPhone 4 was not viable for backpacking unless user remembered to engage Airplane mode after each GPS read.
  • I have no information about the Verizon iPhone 5.

THE CHALLENGE

Find a SIM state and/or a configuration of iPhone settings that gives minimal background battery drain given these conditions:

  1. iPhone 5 – ATT (and, for users other than myself, Verizon iPhone 5)
  2. Airplane mode OFF (which is necessary to use the GPS function)
  3. Location Services ON
  4. Phone powered on, but asleep, with no user activity and no apps running

In ATT iPhone 4, 1-2% drain per 24 hours is achieved by either removing or locking the SIM, and it works no matter whether there is ATT signal or not, and works whether the phone is in Airplane mode or not. I’d like to achieve the same baseline drain using an iPhone 5. To be clear, the ATT iPhone 4 is FINE, my backcountry usage patterns give me 5-10 days of usage between charges. The iPhone 5 is not fine, however, and I’m trying to learn everything I can.

I recognize that I incur additional drain when I use Gaia GPS to look at my map or use the camera to take a photo. However, we need to achieve minimal background drain in order to enable backpackers to use the iPhone for multi-day backcountry trips without recharging the phone.

Faraday Cage to block signal:
Create a Faraday Cage. Test that the phone does not have signal by calling yourself to make sure the phone does not ring. In my case, I had to put the phone inside a covered metal cookie tin and put that tin in the microwave. Neither the tin nor the microwave alone successfully blocked signal.

SETTINGS in my test configuration:

I have tried to turn off all features that might drain the battery and which are not needed while in the backcountry:

  • iOS 6.1.4 (similar to results I had with 6.1.3)
  • Airplane Mode = OFF (while backpacking this must be OFF to make GPS work)
  • WIFI = OFF
  • Bluetooth = OFF
  • Personal Hotspot = OFF
  • Notifications = nothing. No sounds, no badges, no alerts, no nothing. (This is messy to undo after a trip, hopefully it won’t be necessary to change any of this assuming that WIFI and Cellular are both OFF.)
  • –> Down at bottom of Notifications – Amber Alerts and Emergency Alerts = OFF
  • General->About->Advertising->Limit Ad Tracking = ON
  • General->About->Diagnostics and Usage = Don’t Send
  • General->Usage->Battery Percentage = ON
  • General->Siri = OFF
  • General->Cellular = OFF
  • General->VPN = not configured for anything
  • Privacy->Location Services = ON
  • Privacy->Location Services->System Services (all the way at bottom of Location Services): Everything OFF except Compass Calibration, which is useful while hiking
  • iCloud->Storage&Backup = OFF
  • iTunes&App Stores->Automatic Downoads = OFF and Use Cellular Data = OFF

Shut down all apps and power cycle phone.
After a full power cycle and with all apps fully shut down, note time and battery usage. Put the phone in the test environment and check battery usage after some period of time, minimally 60 minutes, ideally 12 or 24 hours.

  • Three different SIM states to test: Removed, SIM Locked, SIM Unlocked. (any of the three is a viable solution since user can be educated as to which one to use)
  • Two different signal states to test: Strong signal, Faraday Cage. (user has no control, so we need a solution that works in both conditions)

NOTE#1: Once I’ve found an iPhone 5 configuration that is acceptable (<5% per day, ideally 1-2% per day like the iPhone 4), then I can experiment with the list of settings; perhaps some of those I’ve listed don’t matter. And maybe, if I’m really lucky, there’s a setting I missed, and the solution to this problem is as easy as changing one more setting???

NOTE#2: Verizon iPhone4 has no solution to this problem. In the world of iPhone 4’s, only ATT made for a viable backpacking tool. I’d love to see somebody with a Verizon iPhone 5 do the testing necessary to add accurate advice to our article — http://adventurealan.com/iphone4gps.htm

My Results, ATT iPhone 5

SIM Locked. When there is no ATT signal, the SIM is locked, and Airplane mode is OFF, the iPhone 5 battery drain is 10% per hour. Egregious, unbelievable, horrible, terrible. In iPhone-4 locking the SIM was the best solution for backpacking (1-2% drain per day). In iPhone-5 it is completely unusable. This drain is so bad that the SIM Lock feature is unusable even for the average non-hiking user.

SIM Removed. When there is no ATT signal, the SIM is removed, and Airplane mode is OFF, the iPhone-5 battery drain is ~8% per hour. Not quite as bad as the SIM-Locked state, but completely unusable. In iPhone-4, removing the SIM worked as well as locking the SIM.

SIM Unlocked. The drain depends on various factors:

  1. Airplane Mode = OFF and ATT signal present: ~8% drain per day
  2. Airplane Mode = OFF and ATT signal absent (this is the normal state for backcountry hiking): ~24% drain per day (compared to 1-2% per day for iPhone 4)
  3. Airplane Mode = ON and ATT signal present: ~4% drain per day
  4. Airplane Mode = ON and ATT signal absent: ~4% drain per day
Jason G BPL Member
PostedAug 22, 2013 at 3:12 pm

hey amy,

I just wanted to bring to your attention a few useful apps and settings.

(These all require a jailbroken iphone)

1: BatteryDetective, is an app that give your current battery info such as temp, current/max/design capacities(in mAh), cycle count, voltage, boot voltage and current drain. You can also analyze any application to determine its current drain!

batterydetective youtube videos

2: iBatteryInfo, is an widget that shows a popup when you connect/disconnect a charge cable that tells you all current battery and charge info such as current mAh, max mAh, fully charged, charging cycles, input watts, input amps.
The big thing with this widget is that when enabled it DOES NOT turn your screen on when you connect a charge cable. This is big for people who use inline solar chargers to charge their iphones. Depending on the solar charger, many of them will drop charging momentarily if in shade or the voltage is just not high enough. With the charge coming in and out the screen goes on and off effectively draining MORE than the solar charger is charging.

iBatteryInfo youtube videos (link not working, just search iBatteryInfo in youtube for a demo…)

3: f.lux. is a setting app that allows you to set varied screen brightness for day and night. it uses your location to determine when sunset will be and and it then dims the screen at that time. of course you could do it manually but this makes it easier. it probably doesn’t save a whole lot of battery but every little bit helps

4: KillBackground, is a widget that puts a small button in your current running apps list that will force quit all the them with one tap. very quick and using to ensure that you have no battery draining apps running in the background

http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=killbackground

5: Airplane toggle, puts and app icon on your home screen that easily allows you to toggle airplane mode on and off

Amy Lauterbach BPL Member
PostedAug 22, 2013 at 4:57 pm

Thanks Jason. I haven't jailbroken my phone yet, but I see that might need to be my next step :(

Rex Sanders BPL Member
PostedAug 22, 2013 at 9:40 pm

I have an iPhone 4, my wife a 4S. Both sometimes drain batteries at an enormous rate, for no consistent reason.

Sometimes, we see high power drain and a hot phone, while using the Apple Map or Google Map apps in turn-by-turn mode in a car. Sometimes we drain the battery in less than 2 hours of driving that way!

Sometimes, no mapping app is running, and we get high power drain and a hot phone. We try shutting down all the apps (sometimes helps), or full power-off, power-on, which always fixes the problem.

Long way of saying – high power drain problems are not limited to the iPhone 5, and might be caused by software.

I don't trust my iPhone 4 as a mapping aid in the backcountry, due to unpredictable battery life. Obviously, other people have better experience with that.

Mysteries abound!

— Rex

David Thomas BPL Member
PostedAug 22, 2013 at 9:48 pm

Rex,

I've had experiences like yours – days when the phone is in fast drain mode – but hadn't considered that some errant software might be stuck in a loop.

"If builders built buildings the way programmers write program. . . . the first woodpecker to come along would destroy civilization."

And yeah, those are the times I'll notice it getting hot in my pocket. I'll try the full power off, full power on.

Thanks.

PostedAug 23, 2013 at 6:31 am

"or full power-off, power-on, which always fixes the problem."

Lots of folks never turn off their phones. I've read that you should do a full power off at least once a week. I do it a couple of times a week.

Amy Lauterbach BPL Member
PostedAug 23, 2013 at 8:49 am

My situation is a little different from what some of you are reporting. I am doing very controlled tests, in my house, and I get VERY predictable results. I have not seen anything that is random or inconsistent. I've run each configuration multiple times and in every test I get the same drain rate. The three factors that determine the drain are Signal (present or absent), SIM (locked/removed or unlocked), and Airplane Mode (ON or OFF). Given any combination of those three things, I know the background drain of my phone.

We've used the iPhone 4 on several longish backcountry hikes – 6 weeks in Turkey, 6 weeks in Australia, 5 weeks in Spain. Background battery drain was entirely predictable, and the daily drain was directly proportional to how often we used it for photos, bird guides, and mapping, and was always in the range of 8-25% per day. Background drain of the iPhone 4 with SIM locked is 1-2% per day; it doesn't matter if there is signal present or Airplane mode is on or off.

I'll make an appointment with the Apple Genius Bar, hopefully today, to see if I can get some information from them.

Amy

PostedAug 23, 2013 at 10:24 am

iPhone 5 Verizon, all apps closed, SIM removed. Verified it still gets GPS signal.

Same phone settings as you list above (no wifi etc).

Phone in standby mode.

Battery drain TBD
10:19 AM 100%
11:19 AM 100%
01:41 PM 100%
02:20 PM 100% (point made)

(I currently use my old iPhone 4 ATT with mophie case with your locked sim technique as my hiking device, this test may change that, the camera is so much better on the 5).

There is a updated how-to to setup a SIM PIN Link and the default PIN for Verizon is 1111

Amy Lauterbach BPL Member
PostedAug 24, 2013 at 10:31 am

Dan,

Could you clarify one thing in your test setup. Were you in a location where Verizon signal is present or absent? In my tests with ATT phone the differences are significant.

SIM is absent or locked, ATT signal present: 0% loss in 3 hours (I didn't run the full 24 hour test)
SIM is absent or locked, ATT signal absent: 7-10% loss per hour

It's like my phone gets totally confused that there's no signal available when in fact it should be ignoring signal altogether. If your test is in a location where Verizon signal is present, then my parallel test results are similar. But if you're test is in a location where Verizon signal is absent, then it looks like you've demonstrated that the Verizon iPhone 5 is GOLDEN!!!

Here's what I did to get to an environment where no signal is present. With the SIM active, I put the phone in a metal cookie tin and called myself — the phone rang. Then I put the phone inside the microwave oven — the phone rang. Then I put the phone inside the cookie tin and put that tin inside the microwave oven — success, the phone doesn't ring. So my "Faraday Cage" environment to test the drain as it would be in the backcountry is the cookie-tin/microwave combination.

Eager to hear more. I've got my second appointment this afternoon with Scott at the Apple Store.

Amy

PostedAug 25, 2013 at 4:52 pm

Sorry, didn't do any formal testing, but did do an overnighter with my Verizon iPhone 5 yesterday. With airplane mode on, it lost, perhaps, 4-5 percent overnight, in a no-signal area. FWIW.

PostedAug 25, 2013 at 9:49 pm

Test was done in an area with strong Verizon service. Your results make no sense (as you point out), I will try to find a way to test with no signal to compare. I have neither a cookie tin or a microwave, but I am sure I can figure out something!

I have a 4 day trip this week, so I need to decide Att iPhone 4 or Verizon iPhone 5 before then.

Thanks for all your work/research on this, it has helped so many of us.

PostedAug 25, 2013 at 10:03 pm

My GF would like to know why I put my phone in:
an iron skillet in the oven (still signal)
the dryer (still signal)
the washer (still signal)
in a saucepan in the fridge (no signal!)

To tell if I had signal I used Airplay to mirror the screen to my TV, and waited till I saw "no service". Locked SIM Verizon iPhone 5 no signal, wifi/BT etc all off, all apps closed.

10PM 100%
7AM 96%

When I took it out in the morning the location arrow came on, it was "time zone" trying to figure out where it was.

Amy Lauterbach BPL Member
PostedAug 26, 2013 at 8:28 am

Dan,

Excellent. And funny.

To maximize life, if you want to go that far, you can turn off the "time zone" issue in this obscure place:

Privacy->Location Services->System Services (all the way at bottom of Location Services): Everything OFF except Compass Calibration, which is useful while hiking.

Even if you want the phone to auto-adjust for time zone, there's a fair chance you don't want to have it eating your battery so it can customize the advertising for your location.

My brother ran the Verizon 5 phone tests with the SIM removed. He did ALL the battery conservation measures in my list, and his drain was ~2% per day. And one person reported using a Sprint iPhone 5 with SIM locked (which also has both GSM and CDMA, like Verizon) for 3 full days in the backcountry and losing only ~20% total. The evidence is mounting that the Verizon iPhone 5 is golden and the ATT iPhone 5 is a dud.

Amy

PostedSep 3, 2013 at 5:03 pm

My battery drain feels like 2% per day, not 8%. Just personal experience.

Verizon iPhone 5 users can disable 4G and use 3G to extend battery by like 30%.

PostedSep 4, 2013 at 3:27 pm

On my 4 day trip with your setting on Verizon iPhone 5 I almost went the whole trip on one charge. 300+ photos, 10hrs + audio books, 5-10 peeks at topomaps app per day.
I used the iBatzz to top up http://www.ibattz.com/products_power_refuel.php like a Mophie but with the advantage of being able to swap out batteries (and they give you two).

Others on the trip had ATT iPhone 5, and did seem to be using much more battery, but nothing scientific was measured.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
Loading...