Topic

Brainstorm: Tyvek + Never Wet?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Brainstorm: Tyvek + Never Wet?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Cesar Valdez

@primezombie

Locale: Scandinavia

So I don't live in the USA and can't buy that new-ish Never Wet super waterproof double spray stuff. Tyvek is hard to get a hold of where I live too. But ever since the Never Wet stuff came out, one of the first things I thought of doing if I had it was to make a flat tarp with Tyvek, and then spray the heck out of it with NW.

Anyone done this yet? Or something similar? Or is this where someone (probably Anna) links to a thread and makes me look foolish…

… but HA! I already did a quick search and read all of this thread:

http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/forums/thread_display.html?forum_thread_id=78641

No tarp test there.

It just seems that because Tyvek is very water resistant and fairly cheap, that add this spray and it would be really good for things like tarps. Though I hear that it rubs off easy, but a tarp does not get that much abrasion. Maybe someone has a TT Sublite they could spray with it?

I want to read about more experiments and see more nerdy pictures people!

Edit: typos :/

Link .
    BPL Member

@annapurna

That's funny Cesar,thanks for making me laugh :)

Cesar Valdez

@primezombie

Link .
    BPL Member

@annapurna

I like it :)

steven franchuk

@surf

Tyvek 1443 has a hydrostatic head of 7622mm while Tyvek 1460 is 1270mm. That is enough to stop most rain.

Tyvek is made from polyethylene which is naturally hydrophobic. Neverwet is Superhyrophobic and probably will not change the hydrostatic head like all other DWR treatments.

Adding neverwet to tyvek will probably not make much of a difference. It will however add weight.

Henry Shires / Tarptent
    BPL Member

@07100

Locale: Upper Sierra Foothills - Gold Rush Country

My take is that anything you apply to Tyvek will reduce its breathability and if you do that then you've destroyed its best quality. I agree that Tyvek 1443R–the material we use in the Sublite–is remarkably water resistant. However, it does absorb some water and takes much longer to dry out than a coated fabric. For that reason you would want to think twice about using it in wet environment, at least if you intend to carry it.

-H

Cesar Valdez

@primezombie

Yeah, I can see why one would not want to spray a Sublite considering the issue of breath-ability–thanks Henry. A tarp on the other hand, I would still be interested in seeing if this would be an effective thing to do. While Tyvek is very water resistant, NW could in theory make it waterproof and unable to absorb any water. And cheap to boot.

Just a brainstorm I had. I am surprised there seems to be not as much experimentation with NW now that it has been on the market for some time.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools