Topic

Granite Gear Vapor Flash, STP

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Granite Gear Vapor Flash, STP

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Joe S
    BPL Member

@threeridges

STP has this pack at $99. Seems like a value, but it's also 3 lbs, which is about a pound heavier than other full price packs I'm looking at. It looks pretty bullet-proof, though. I may waiver and get one to take a look at it. I have a 22" torso, so I like that fact that the L would deal well with the length.

Steven Paris
    BPL Member

@saparisor

Locale: Pacific Northwest

Joe,

I've held on to my old Vapor Trail, just to have for friends or if I really need to carry more weight. This looks a lot like the VT with a really-overbuilt lid. However, that lid looks to be removable. Take that off and trim some of the excess webbing around the pack and you should wind up with a classic close-to-UL hauler. The VT's belt and frame sheet were excellent, so maybe this is the same.

Three issues with the VT/Granite Gear: (1) too much fabric on top to roll down, (2) no front mesh/stretch pocket (if that's something you like) and (3) seems like some people are between the sizes offered.

Mike W
    BPL Member

@skopeo

Locale: British Columbia

The Vapor Flash is a much tougher pack than the Vapor Trail. I have a Vapor Trail and both my sons purchased the Flash and I much prefer the Flash as it's not made of silnylon. The Vapor Flash also fit me better than the Vapor Trail and has a few more features.

There was a YouTube video around a year or two ago that showed a guy dragging a bunch of backpacks behind his vehicle to see if they would survive. The only pack to survive was the Flash. That video encouraged my sons to pick up the Vapor Flash packs because at the time they were both starving university students and wanted a pack that would last. They are still using their Vapor Flash packs and they have held up beautifully. If you can accept the weight, they are really nice packs.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools