Topic

Heineken plus Caldera cone. How much fuel to boil?

  • This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 posts - 26 through 31 (of 31 total)
Kattt BPL Member
PostedAug 27, 2013 at 7:52 pm

An attempt at something a little more precise.

Room temperature 71.
Just about Sea Level, maybe 200 feet up.
No wind.

Using Heineken pot, Caldera cone, Starlyte burner ( the regular one, not the modified one meant for this set up).
On a wooden cutting board with a sheet of aluminum foil on top.
2 cups of water; temperature started at 64. Came to a rolling boil ( did not stick thermometer in..)
In 8 minutes.

Used 12 grams of Klean Strip denatured alcohol.

Burned my finger once. Not badly.

PostedAug 27, 2013 at 8:13 pm

Thanks.

Sorry about the finger. But it was for a good cause.

Seems like 6 grams per cup is a pretty typical number.

Randy Nelson BPL Member
PostedAug 27, 2013 at 9:46 pm

I pulled out the Ti-Tri sidewinder with my Evernew 1300 ml pot and got:

Air temp: 68.5
Water temp 49.something (not quite 50)
Water: 16 oz
Elevation: 8640'
Boil time: 10.25 minutes
Fuel consumption: just over .5 oz
Fuel: Klean-Strip Green (I use Evernew in the field but not for testing stoves)
Stove: 12-10

I was going to test the Keg-H right after but had to deal with a work issue. I'll try again to compare the 2 directly again tomorrow.

I take the Keg-H for short trips but the Ti-Tri for longer trips when burning wood is possible. I'll still take the 12-10 stove and some alcohol but a lot less if I know I can burn wood. That alone makes it worth taking other stove system.

I ordered a StarLyte last week and am looking forward to trying it out with both setups.

Bob Gross BPL Member
PostedAug 27, 2013 at 10:07 pm

"(I use Evernew in the field but not for testing stoves)"

I don't think that is what you meant.

–B.G.–

Viewing 6 posts - 26 through 31 (of 31 total)
Loading...