Hey everyone,
I've been wanting to get into tarp camping for some time now. I've gone back and forth between something like a Yama Mountain Gear Cirriform SW and other cuben and bug net tents and really think a tarp by itself will work best for me. Let me provide a little info as to what I am doing with it and about myself:
-I'm 6'4" and want something that's going to cover me and give me some space on either end for some added protection.
-I live in Arizona, do a lot of trips in Grand Canyon, and venture further up north (Colorado, UT, MT) a few times a year. So I really don't have to deal a lot with rain down here and often times just sleep out.
-In the event that I'm on a trip with my girlfriend we would use my 2 person tent but I love the added luxury of a tarp to cook and hang out under if it is raining.
-I also guide in the Grand Canyon and we are required to have some sort of shelter. I think a cuben tarp would give me that at hardly any weight and could be used to pitch and cook under if it's raining with my clients.
I guess my biggest question is…..if I by a rectangular tarp vs a shaped one (really looking at the Yama Mountain Gear Tarps) would I regret it? I'll probably sleep under this tarp quite a bit but will also use it for some of the above tasks.
If a flat tarp is the way to go would you recommend something like a 10'x8.5' for someone my height?
And finally! Any recommendations on an actual flat or shaped tarp? (Yama, HMG, Zpacks?)
As always thanks in advance for the feedback and let me know if you need more information.
Thanks!


