I am in the market for another shell because my REI Kimtah eVent jacket was lost. I loved the breathability of this jacket, but not necessarily the weight (17 oz.). This was the 1st waterproof shell with which I was actually happy……my previous experiences with mid-90's gore tex and gore-tex XCR were that they are not breathable enough for intensive hiking and I got "wet" from sweat eventually. I was very happy with the fabric's breathability and I honestly did not mind wearing it as a wind jacket, whereas with gore-tex, I only wore it when I "had" to.
It seems like Westcomb makes one of the lightest eVent full zipped jackets and this is why I am heavily considering the Specter. However, I see that they now have the newer Shift which uses Neoshell and now I do not know which will be better.
I want something that will be totally waterproof in sustained long periods of rain and also breathable. Should I go with the Shift (Neoshell–12 oz) or the Specter (Event–11oz)? Will the Neoshell be more breathable and still totally waterproof in rain? From my research online, it sounds like the actual breathability of each neoshell jacket model can vary and that some are also less waterproof when they make them more breathable.
If you have suggestions for better light eVent or Neoshell jackets, please feel free to suggest them. The super UL coated shells are not for my hiking style since I tend to shred them to pieces and they are not breathable enough for me.

