Topic

FireLite Mini Firestarting Kits

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) FireLite Mini Firestarting Kits

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Sara C
    BPL Member

@saracr

Locale: SE Missouri and NW Arkansas

Will the FireLite Mini Firestarting Kit provide enough spark to ignite an open top style alcohol stove?

Jon

Dale Wambaugh
    BPL Member

@dwambaugh

Locale: Pacific Northwest

Yup, or start a butane stove. Those sparks are hot. The small size is more of a length of service issue than the amount of sparks it throws. I ordered a couple the minute I saw them. You would be working up close with any firesteel, so watch your pinkies.

George Matthews
    BPL Member

@gmatthews

I got the reg fire steel and the mini later

It has been taking some practice for me to be successful

Both of them create big, hot sparks but it was hard for me to hit the target. I've gotten much better.

Using the BushBuddy I would keep hitting the stand part and knocking it off at first. Also,if it is hot be careful not to let dripping sweat drops hit your firestarter.

I really am enjoying learning this skill.

D G
    Spectator

@dang

Locale: Pacific Northwet

A technique that works good for me is to hold the small striker steel piece in one hand steady, and then pulling the firesteel back, as opposed to holding the firesteel steady and pushing the striker forward.

Dan

John S.
    BPL Member

@jshann

Just don't try it with a white gas stove…

George Matthews
    BPL Member

@gmatthews

>> hold the small striker steel piece in one hand steady, and then pulling the firesteel back <<

hi Dan

Tried this technique today and found it to work much better for me. Thanks for the great tip.

joseph daluz

@jfdiberian

Locale: Columbia River Gorge

Cheaper way, go to walmart and buy the zinc block with the stryker built in. Knock it out with a hammer and nail, and carry cotton balls impregnated with petrolium jelly, they will light readily and… also a hacksaw blade piece, 2" broken off is fine. This set up is waterproof and you'd be surprised at how easy it is to light. Cost= $6 + vaseline and cotton balls.

Sara C
    BPL Member

@saracr

Locale: SE Missouri and NW Arkansas

I went ahead and ordered a couple to try them out. Thanks.

Jon

joseph daluz

@jfdiberian

Locale: Columbia River Gorge

be sure and not overdo it with the vaseline, a bit on a ball goes a long way, then fluff the ball increasing the surface:volume ration as much as possible. Seady and firm as she goes on the stryker all the way to the end and you'll have good luck with this.
    In the pacific northwest, pitchwood abounds. I never carry tinder because I know exactly where and how to find it.

Kenneth Lotts
    BPL Member

@aa7jc

Locale: SE AZ

Cool.. Just tried it and was very impressed!

Jeremy Cleaveland
    BPL Member

@jeremy11

Locale: Exploring San Juan talus

why is it not good for white gas? with MSRs at least, it would only be lighting the gas in the primer cup. it seems that should be a stable enough situation

Frank Deland

@rambler

Locale: On the AT in VA

Great tip, Dan. Why does the jelly work? I noted that it does not burn by itself, it just melts. Does it only ignite at high temps as wax does? I tried sno-seal without any noted effect, thoguh cotton alone burns fast. Also, I think the "zinc" in the Walmart ignitors is actually magneseum. It takes a pile of that to light and it burns quite fast. The cotton ball with jelly not only burns for awhile it stands up well in a breeze, too. Pulling the cotton threads out to thin them helps make igniting them with a spark a bit easier. The mini striker that comes with the kit works well because it gets the spark right at the end of the "stick". I also noted that the hack saw blade works quite well when the side opposite the teeth is used. Note, too, that the metal striker that is sold with the ignoitor here at BPL has an up side and a bottom side. Make sure the "up" is up!

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools