Topic

Getting ready to head to Canyonlands in a few weeks. Advice?

  • This topic is empty.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
PostedAug 16, 2013 at 8:12 am

I am getting my stuff together to head out to Utah in about a month.
I want to hit Canyonlands mostly, but would consider others. Just that time is short and Canyonlands has camping sites open yet.
The Needles has the most open. Have been reading trip reports around the web as much as I can, but will take any tips I can get.

What trails?
Gear tips?
Things to see nearby?
Best place to hang and recover afterwards?
Any groups here going to be there?

I Need to update my gear list some in my profile, it is sort of scattered.

Thanks!

HkNewman BPL Member
PostedAug 16, 2013 at 5:09 pm

I did the Needles with a Vapor Trail a few times and hauled my water in late Sept/early Oct.,check my photobucket link – its really a great place. Can't go wrong with the scenery (both natural and watching sport climbers in the needles proper) – BP Mag suggested Nov for pics but too gloomy. Solo I would also keep water at my truck and "figure 8" it as a last resort for water (the big limiting factor). Yes there's some water holes but found them rather skanky. Mostly you are close enough to resupply water from base vehicle or visitor center, so take advantage. A number of ladders to get over drop offs unless budget cuts have affected them. In September, prolly not much gear but mucho water. I also 4wd drove it to the official Colorado river overlook but overrated IMHO. Just hike and explore.

Ed : caps

PostedAug 17, 2013 at 7:36 am

I only see one picture in your photobucket. What trails were in your figure 8?

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
Loading...