Topic

Getting ready to head to Canyonlands in a few weeks. Advice?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Trip Planning Getting ready to head to Canyonlands in a few weeks. Advice?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Andy Rhine

@willrun4fun

I am getting my stuff together to head out to Utah in about a month.
    I want to hit Canyonlands mostly, but would consider others. Just that time is short and Canyonlands has camping sites open yet.
    The Needles has the most open. Have been reading trip reports around the web as much as I can, but will take any tips I can get.

What trails?
    Gear tips?
    Things to see nearby?
    Best place to hang and recover afterwards?
    Any groups here going to be there?

I Need to update my gear list some in my profile, it is sort of scattered.

Thanks!

HkNewman
    BPL Member

@hknewman

Locale: The West is (still) the Best

I did the Needles with a Vapor Trail a few times and hauled my water in late Sept/early Oct.,check my photobucket link – its really a great place. Can't go wrong with the scenery (both natural and watching sport climbers in the needles proper) – BP Mag suggested Nov for pics but too gloomy. Solo I would also keep water at my truck and "figure 8" it as a last resort for water (the big limiting factor). Yes there's some water holes but found them rather skanky. Mostly you are close enough to resupply water from base vehicle or visitor center, so take advantage. A number of ladders to get over drop offs unless budget cuts have affected them. In September, prolly not much gear but mucho water. I also 4wd drove it to the official Colorado river overlook but overrated IMHO. Just hike and explore.

Ed : caps

Andy Rhine

@willrun4fun

I only see one picture in your photobucket. What trails were in your figure 8?

rOg w
    BPL Member

@rog_w

Locale: rogwilmers.com

deleted

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools