Topic

Patrol shelter + Bearpaw minimalist 1 for taller hikers

  • This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
PostedAug 16, 2013 at 3:51 am

I narrowed down my choice to Patrol shelter and bearpaw minimalist with rear/front CF panel.

I am just wondering how this combo works for someone 6'2"?

Is minimalist 1 with both panels overkill in terms of ventilation?

Could Patrol shelter be set with fixed length tent pole?

Thanks 4 your time!

bjc BPL Member
PostedAug 16, 2013 at 5:42 am

Patrol can be set up with fixed poles, it just limits your pitch options. The Minimalist will work but it is a snug fit at 6'2". Remember that the shelter has a closed foot so cf on both ends of the net might not be needed. I have extended sides around all four sides in a similar shelter and find that more than adequate. If it gets really bad I use an umbrella or my rain shell to block the front if it gets too bad. That seldom happens. The low beak and a 10 inch panel does the trick without blocking the view and ventilation. Take a look at the Bearpaw net tents to see a picture of the extended bathtub. I believe John can do that on the minimalist as well. Both the minimalist and the patrol shelter can be extended if you wanted.

dirtbag BPL Member
PostedAug 16, 2013 at 8:11 am

I went with the Cuben Patrol Shelter and Bear Paw bug bivy. I am still waiting on the Patrol shelter to arrive so I cant really comment on that..7 weeks yesterday. I looked at the minimalist 1 and decided to go with the bug bivy. Please let me know what you think of the minimalist 1 with the patrol shelter if you do decide to go that way. I love the bug bivy, there is plenty of room inside it and it is not one bit constricting feeling. I also like that I can pitch it without having to use my poles, not that that is a big deal but if its buggy and I want to sleep out under stars I can pitch the bug bivy and sleep in that, while I can also pitch the patrol shelter, useing my hiking poles, near me in camp, in case the weather turns during the night and I need to get under there quickly. Just my thoughts and preference.I weighed it at home and it actually weighed 10 ounces with stakes and everything. Not the lightest, but paired with the cuben Patrol shelter, I think I'm going to love my optiions with this set up..and it will be hovering around the 1 lb mark, which works wekll for me.

dirtbag BPL Member
PostedAug 17, 2013 at 11:15 am

I got it last night. Set it up a bunch of times already today. I love it!!! It's a palace for me and I'm 5 ft 10, 235lbs. This is gonna be great set up with my Bear Paw Wilderness bug bivy. If I was u I would Deffinatly go with the MLD patrol shelter..it is very long in length also so being 6 ft 2 wouldn't matter..there is lots of room in it

PostedAug 17, 2013 at 7:22 pm

I am glad you are happy with your new shelter! It was a long waiting period though. When you set it up with bug bivy let me know how it is.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
Loading...