Topic

FS: Ultralight Fixed-length trekking poles

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Commerce Gear Deals FS: Ultralight Fixed-length trekking poles

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    David Gardner
    BPL Member

@gearmaker

Locale: Northern California

Two pairs of ultralight "GOLD Gear" fixed-length trekking poles on sale.

One pair is Model MHP 47" (120 cm) trekking poles. "MHP" stands for Multiple Hand Positions. The poles have 13" EVA foam grips that allow the user to grip within a 13" range, in effect making the poles "adjustable" in use although with none of the extra weight, complexity and fallablility of actual adjusters. 8.8 oz for the pair, not counting straps or baskets. Straps add .5 oz per pole, baskets add .3 oz per pole. Camera mount adapter on one pole.

The other pair are Model FL 47" Fixed Length trekking poles. Will custom make shorter poles if you want. 6" EVA foam grips. With straight tips (not basket-compatible), no straps and no baskets they weigh 3.3 oz per pole, 6.6 oz for the pair. Basket-compatible tips add .1 oz per pole, straps add .3 oz per pole, and baskets add .3 oz per pole. Can be ordered with camera mount adapter on one pole, adds .2 oz.

Retail is $125 per pair. Closing out my current inventory. Will sell for $75 plus shipping.MHPFLtip

Reggie
    BPL Member

@regarrett

Locale: Staring off into the sunset.

If you've not heard of or tried these poles, they are fantastic!

David Gardner
    BPL Member

@gearmaker

Just in case the text and photos are confusing, I'm offering to build the FL poles either with straight tips (not pictured) or with basket-compatible tips as shown. "Straight tips" have the carbide tips screwed directly into the bottom of the pole. Basket-compatible tips as pictured are glued to the bottom of the pole. Straight tips work well for hard surfaces. Basket-compatible tips allow baskets to be attached for softer surfaces.

Bruce Bochicchio

@brucebome-com

Locale: North Georgia

Is the MHP pair still for sale?
    Do they have straps?

Greg Mihalik
    Spectator

@greg23

Locale: Colorado

" 'Straight tips' have the carbide tips screwed directly into the bottom of the pole."

I'd like to understand how this is done. What keeps the bottom of the pole from splitting?

Got a picture, anyone?

David Gardner
    BPL Member

@gearmaker

Bruce,

I still have a pair of MHP poles for sale. I custom make each order, depending on options chosen by the customer for length, tips, straps, and camera mount. Let me know exactly what you want, and I'll make them that way.

David

David Gardner
    BPL Member

@gearmaker

Greg,

I pre-drill and tap the bottom of the shaft before screwing in the carbide tip. Plus, I use golf driver shaft blanks for the poles, which are tightly spiral wrapped. I used to also wrap the bottom of the shafts several times with aluminum tape to reinforce it, but experience with an unwrapped pair has led me to conclude it is not needed. And I warranty the straight tip poles: if one breaks, I'll fix or replace it.

Here is a picture of an old style straight tip, wrapped in aluminum tape with heat shrink tubing over it:
    tip

Greg Mihalik
    Spectator

@greg23

Locale: Colorado

David,
    Thanks for the photo and the technique.

There is a lot of good stuff out here.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools