Topic

Are trail runners supposed to fall apart?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Are trail runners supposed to fall apart?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Matt Jones
    BPL Member

@mjones

I made the switch to trail runners recently after years of hiking with much heavier footware. Overall, most of the trade offs have been worth it. I don't feel as sure footed in some places, but it's still been worth it for me when it comes to comfort and weight savings.

The only problem has been durability. I grabbed a pair of New Balances that I thought I would like. They've been comfortable and probably have less than 100 miles on them. The only problem is the stitching on the front of the shoe is already coming out. Is this normal? Are there trail runners that are more durable that don't cost an arm and a leg? Thanks.

Andrew F

@andrew-f

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area

I used to get 400-500 miles out of a pair of midweight (12-15 oz/shoe) trail runners. Now that I've switched to lighter, more minimal shoes (9-11 oz/shoe) they don't last quite as long – 300 miles or so. A good, well constructed pair should wear out in the midsole and outsole before you blow out any seams, but many of the lighter shoes will have seam failures or you'll wear a hole by the toes long before that. It takes some experimentation to find a durable pair that fits you. In the meantime, buy a tube of Shoe Goo and slather it on the weak spots ahead of time and they will last much longer.

Jason G
    BPL Member

@jasong

Locale: iceberg lake

Yea new balance are crap for backpacking… I tried out a pair of the minimus 00's for local running and dog walking and liked them and seemed OK so I got a pair bulkier 110's for my Tahoe rim hike in June and they wore out pretty bad after about 80mi.. They were so bad i had to switch them out halfway.. As much as i like the barefoot style runners they are just not meant for strenuous backpacking..

But most of my previous trail runners last about 400-500mi. I have had good experiences with Salomon, montrail, Treksta and merrells. and i have heard good things about la sportiva's. YRMV

Peter Bakwin
    BPL Member

@pbakwin

Both Merrill Trail Glove and La Sportiva Helios have been very durable for me for running. Haven't used them for hiking. The Trail Glove is a true "barefoot" shoe (zero drop, very minimal) while the Helios is a true trail runner (4mm drop, rock plate). Both very light.

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe

The problem may be that you are trying to use ultra-light running shoes for walking in rough country. They are not made for that. Sad, but reality. Use them for running on open clear running tracks. Don't bash them through rock and scrub.

I have been wearing New Balance joggers for many, many years, in extreme country, but I choose ones which are designed for it. They have been working well. You will find many of my reviews here at BPL about them, with photos of the country.

Horses for courses.
    Cheers

Stephen M
    BPL Member

@stephen-m

Locale: Way up North

I have a pair of Montrails that have been replace twice in the last year under warranty due to the stitching coming apart, I don't think I put them that much punishment ;-)

John West
    Spectator

@skyzo

Locale: Borah Gear

I have two pairs of Montrail Hardrocks, and each have about 300 miles on them. One pair is still in fairly good condition, as it has just been used for trails. The other pair, however, is in in crying shape. I use them on trips I plan on doing some scrambling/climbing, and so they wore down much faster (which is to be expected).

I'm currently experimenting with Merrell Trail Gloves, and so far I love them! I was told by a friend that they could possibly help sort out the aftermath of my knee issues (tore meniscus and MCL last fall), and so far I can run up to 3 miles and hike about 20 miles before I start to feel any discomfort in my knee.

peter vacco

@fluffinreach-com

Locale: no. california

if the stich is bursting open, that is a quality issue. if it's just the threads getting torn off thru abrasion, one mightb e able to cure it 100% with application of mcnett sealer. mcnett will nail down any threads that do get torn, and the seam stays secure. is just a thought.

v.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools