Topic

Recommendations for tent

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Recommendations for tent

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Aaron Dehne

@engineeraaron

I'm in the market for a new tent. I currently have a double wall "3 person" tent that weighs 5 lbs (stakes, poles, ground sheet, everything included) that is cavernous for 2 and quite comfortable. However, I'd like something a couple pounds lighter for long hikes that my girlfriend would still be comfortable in.

Basically, I want something with a tub floor that's fully enclosed for bug/critter peace of mind.

So that leaves single wall tents, mostly. Also, I'm 6'6" so anyone with recs for a tall person would be highly appreciated.

Dena Kelley
    BPL Member

@eagleriverdee

Locale: Eagle River, Alaska

There's two BA Fly Creek UL2's for sale on Gear Swap right now at good pricing. I use that tent as my primary tent. It would be cozy for two, but since it's you and the GF you might not mind. It's double wall, though, not single. You can check the reviews, the tent has been reviewed here.

Turley
    BPL Member

@turley

Locale: So Cal

I'd look at Big Sky International……The 2P Revolution and 2P Evolution are both free standing double wall shelters that will will save quite a bit of weight. The 2P Mirage is a hybrid and will save additional weight.
    I purchased a 1P Revolution six months or so ago and couldn't be happier with design and construction quality.

mik matra
    BPL Member

@mikmik

Locale: Brisbane AUSTRALIA

I am 6'4' and COMFORTABLE (lengthwise) fir into a TarpTent Rainbow. I bought the tent because when my son is ready to go hiking it will fit him in there for years to come. It has bathtub floor. Single walled, great ventilation. I LOVE my TT Rainbow!!

Richard Gless
    BPL Member

@rgless

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area

My wife and I have been very happy with the SMD Haven Nettent and Haven Tarp for the last two years. A bit on the expensive side, but light and gives you the option of a net tent alone with a view of the stars or a two wall tent. If you use trekking poles it's even lighter.

Timothy Barber
    BPL Member

@tbarber4

Locale: Bremerton

+1 for TarpTent

I think it's a cult at this point.

Michael K
    BPL Member

@chinookhead

The flycreek ul2 may work for some, but it definitely will not work for you since you are 6'6". I'm 6'2 and the ul1 and ul2 are way too short especially with its low height in the foot area. However, the flycreek ul3 could work or the golite imogene ul3 looks real good for a real enclosed double walled shelter (screen and tarp)at 3# 6oz.

Franco Darioli
    Spectator

@franco

Locale: Gauche, CU.

Because you are used to a 3 person tent for two. I would suggest ,if you look at Tarptent,the new CB3.
    The two vertical mesh door ends, 86" apart , will accommodate your height, not something many LW tents can do without having your sleeping bag pressing against the fly..
    The headroom is just over 40", not great for you but better than some.
    (that is : not in one small spot only…)
    BTW,all TT shelters are fully enclosed with a bathtub floor.
    The one in the CB3 is 4.5" high.
    CB3
    http://www.tarptent.com/cloudburst3.html
    Franco at tarptent.com

Ross Bleakney
    BPL Member

@rossbleakney

Locale: Cascades

The key part of your post is the last sentence. You are 6'6". Look to the craft manufacturers (e. g. TarpTent) rather than the big guys for a tent for a tall guy. In other words, don't expect someone who is making a tent for the REI crowd to make a tent big enough for you. The small tent makers simply make tents that are more roomy for the weight. Big Agnes, for example, makes very good free standing tents. But if you are OK with non-free standing, then you can do better. I would search for tents for tall people (or big people) and see what you can find. You might be able to find a perfectly good double walled tent for less than three pounds that fits you.

John Martin
    BPL Member

@snapyjohn

Locale: Pacific NW

This tent is plenty long enough looks like a fly creek2 but longer and wider. I purchased this tent but returned it (felt too small).

Todd T
    BPL Member

@texasbb

Locale: Pacific Northwest

who loves his Tarptent Rainbow.

Aaron Dehne

@engineeraaron

Thanks everyone! Tarptents seem to have a lot of recs. I like that they're long enough for tall people.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools