Well this is my first year backpacking and I have faired very well in Michigan. I have done multiple trips along the North Country Trail.
I am heading to VA over Labor Day and I just wanted some live feedback to ensure I am on track. I do not personally know any backpackers so I have had to research and self teach my self what I know and I know it always helps to consult.
I am doing a 3 Night trip with my cousin who just moved to VA. He is ex-military but hasn't backpacked.
My (2) big Questions are weather and gear:
1st-
I check the almanac and for the closest area I could find to the trail it looked like the average low was 60F. VA is further south then the weather I know in MI but we will be at 3k elevation so I'm not sure how much of a difference it will be to what I know. So any input on what nights are like in VA on the AT, in late august would be great.
2nd-
So I have a pretty nice gear set. I got into bp on a budget but have managed to upgrade most of my gear. So my question is more about clothing and making sure I have what is necessary. So this is what I plan to bring:
-Wool top and bottom base layer
-Few pair of socks(is wool best?) and active wear boxer briefs
-wool hat
-I have a ton polyester shirts think maybe bring a couple?
-Rain gear
(I have a nice Columbia top but unfortunately only have cheaper frog toggs for bottoms)
-Convertible TNF pants
-Zip off sleeves sun shirt
-Jacket?
(I just got a down UL hooded sweater. I use to take a fleece jacket with me but should I just take the down sweater?)
So any help with my clothing line up would be great, or some things that maybe I wouldn't have hiking in MI that are prudent when coming to the AT? Commonly forgot things? Any input. I consider listing my whole gear line up but I didn't want to make this post too long and I think I am pretty set with stove/food/water/etc but any help in any area would be great. Thanks in advance.

