Topic

Switching to a foam pad?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Switching to a foam pad?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 8 posts - 26 through 33 (of 33 total)
  • Author
    Steve Davis
    BPL Member

@stevendavisphoto

Locale: SF Bay Area

went to rei and bought a ridgerest solite. yeah its not super comfy, but it also doesnt bounce around or feel like im balancing on a balloon like with my x-therm. i'm gonna sell it. i may get a pro-lite short though. the demo one at rei was pretty comfy and didnt feel too bouncy.

i just laid down on the neo-air. i think it's that it's so narrow that i roll off it too easily. i feel like i constantly have to balance on it.

Jeff M.
    BPL Member

@catalyst

"i just laid down on the neo-air. i think it's that it's so narrow that i roll off it too easily. i feel like i constantly have to balance on it."

This is why I prefer the exped pads. They are still narrow but I feel like they cradle me better. I'm guessing its due to the vertical baffles. I'm still waiting for that short and wide inflatable pad.

Steve Davis
    BPL Member

@stevendavisphoto

"I'm still waiting for that short and wide inflatable pad."

The Prolite comes in 36" and 48" versions. I'm looking at that now.

Jeff M.
    BPL Member

@catalyst

"The Prolite comes in 36" and 48" versions. I'm looking at that now."

But still only 20" wide. I'd like a short inflatable with a 25" width. Only way I've seen to get that right now is to cut down a large/wide neoair.

Steve Davis
    BPL Member

@stevendavisphoto

ah, are you a bigger guy? i'm 5'8, 165 lbs.

Rex Sanders
    BPL Member

@rex

After too many sleepless nights from sore hips on a Z-Rest, I went to a big REI and laid down on virtually every sleeping pad they had on display, including doubled-up Z-Rests and Solites. I got a few funny looks from other customers, and ignored by REI staff – they must be used to this behavior.

I bought a small Therm-A-Rest 40th Anniversary sleeping pad, 2 inches thick, 17 ounces. I sleep much better now, because my hips hurt a lot less, and I sleep much warmer. The Z-Rest was not enough ground insulation for 40°F nights with a 30°F WM sleeping bag!

You can still find that pad at Campmor and some other retailers, but not at REI.

YMMV, but you might try your own Goldilocks test.

— Rex

Steve Davis
    BPL Member

@stevendavisphoto

haha. i was definitely doing that today at REI. didnt notice anyone staring.

Jeff M.
    BPL Member

@catalyst

"ah, are you a bigger guy? i'm 5'8, 165 lbs."

Smaller – 5'5" and 155 lbs. Just not happy with the 20" wide pad standard.

Viewing 8 posts - 26 through 33 (of 33 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools