Topic

Anyone recommend two simple, no-cook lunches?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums Food, Hydration, and Nutrition Anyone recommend two simple, no-cook lunches?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Author
    Curtis B.
    BPL Member

@rutilate

Locale: Pacific Northwest

Can you recommend a no-cook, tasty lunch?

I've got all my food ready for 3 people, 9 days except for two lunches and I can't for the life of me find anything that sounds appetizing. Or that I can possible prepare in the next three days. I have a challenge with dehydration and by the end of the trip my appetite shrinks, so I'd like to find something moist or soupy. I'd prefer not to take peanut butter as it is heavy and dry.

Do you have some favorites?

Thanks!

Bogs and Bergs

@islandized

Locale: Newfoundland

Cold smoked salmon (not hot-smoked!), cream or goat cheese, red onion and capers in a whole grain wrap. All those ingredients will keep for days, but if long-term heat makes the cheese iffy, find the single-serving Philadelphia cream cheese packs. Very tasty treat, with good fats and protein.

Curtis B.
    BPL Member

@rutilate

Locale: Pacific Northwest

Bogs:
    >>>
    Cold smoked salmon (not hot-smoked!), cream or goat cheese, red onion and capers in a whole grain wrap. All those ingredients will keep for days, but if long-term heat makes the cheese iffy, find the single-serving Philadelphia cream cheese packs. Very tasty treat, with good fats and protein.
    >>>

My wife just started drooling. Where can you get cold-smoked salmon and single-serve philadelphia cream cheese?

Stephen M
    BPL Member

@stephen-m

Locale: Way up North

A nice lunch for me is crackers, a nice mature Irish cheddar and salami and a then something sweet for afterwards.

Luke Schmidt
    BPL Member

@cameron

Locale: Alaska

Normally for me lunch is just bars. I keep some chocolate because its easiest to get down when I'm dehydrated or feeling the altitude.

On my last trip I put mixed nuts, pringles, and Checks Mix in a blender and ground them all up till they were the consistency of cereal. I then ate them out of a bag with a spoon. Very tasty and I liked the salt. I was going to carry olive oil in a tiny container and dribble some in but I forgot to bring it.

Edit – I know you don't like peanut butter, how about Nutella repackaged in a small squeeze tube? You could put that on crackers or a bagel.

Sarah Kirkconnell
    BPL Member

@sarbar

Locale: Homesteading On An Island In The PNW

If you go to Costco you can get the Philly foil tubes in a huge box. You can freeze to take – eat in the first 2 days for best results.

Steve Meier
    BPL Member

@smeier

Locale: Midwest

I like buying whole grain pita's and filling them with tuna in the foil pouches that already has salad dressing mixed in. Also good to add relish in the single serving packs. Easy to pack, little trash, very tasty.

Bogs and Bergs

@islandized

Locale: Newfoundland

"Where can you get cold-smoked salmon and single-serve philadelphia cream cheese?"

Here in Canada the little foil-topped packs of cream cheese aren't too hard to find, not sure what Sarah's 'foil tubes' are. If there's a coffee shop near you that sells bagels, they might be able to help. You can also ask them where they get their lox!

On the off chance you aren't familiar, cold-smoked salmon is the oily stuff that looks raw. Keeps forever, it seems. Mind you, I've never managed to keep it very long. :) And a little goes a long way to jazz things up. Great backpacking food. The hot-smoked resembles cooked salmon, and will not keep without refrigeration.

Sarah Kirkconnell
    BPL Member

@sarbar

I should add that Costco carries both types usually – the little tubs and the packets :-) Both by Philly.

If you have a Safeway nearby, they carry single serving cream cheese tubs, refrigerated. You can also freeze those.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Perpetuem. :)

Stephen M
    BPL Member

@stephen-m

Locale: Way up North

Packit Gourmet does some very nice dehydrated cold meals.

The wild carrot salad is nice.

Michael Ray
    BPL Member

@topshot

Locale: Midwest

Tuna Surprise – 11 oz package of tuna (could use salmon or chicken), 8 oz bottle of ranch dressing (could get single packs), bag of sunflower kernals or peanuts, bag of dried cranberries or raisins, package of 8 tortillas. Cut open tuna package along one long side. Pour in generous amount of dressing and mix it up. Pour in nuts and fruit and mix again. Spoon onto tortillas, wrap and eat! Sounds and looks gross perhaps but even those who don't like some of the individual ingredients really like this no-cook lunch. Clean up is one spoon and the knife you used to open tuna.

Sarah Kirkconnell
    BPL Member

@sarbar

Pssstt: Hidden Valley makes ranch in 2 ounce tubs, in 6 packs, at most grocery stores!

michael levi

@m-l

Locale: W-Never Eat Soggy (W)affles

Salami, tortilla, and cheese ids my favorite.

mark henley

@flash582

May sound strange, but mountain house blueberry granola or a home made variant.

Michael Cockrell

@cal-ee-for-nia

Locale: Central Valley, Lodi-Stockton, CA

I also use Hammer resources.

I use Sustained Energy & Gel, bar mixing. Work with about 250-270Kcal per hour.

Though their Perp. is liked by many, I never used it.

I use their Recoverite, right after the hike. Then a real meal later.

BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

Locale: The Cascades

Don't know from cold or hot, but I get foil pouches of Sea Bear smoked sockeye salmon – no refrigeration necessary. Alderwood smoked, fully cooked, no skin or bones it says on the package. Wonderful stuff. 3.5 oz foil pouches. I get 'em at my local organic market.

You can also get small tins of Coles mackerel, wild mackerel in mustard sauce, wild mackerel in piripiri sauce and smoked mackerel in olive oil. Also good stuff with crackers.

Leigh Baker
    BPL Member

@leighb

Locale: Northeast Texas Pineywoods

@Bogs & Bergs, that sounds wonderful!
    @ Douglas, thanks for posting that again! (at least I think it was you a good while back)I'm going to look for some.
    @ Michael Ray, that sounds really good! I'll be trying that, thanks!

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools