Hello,
I currently hike in Salomon Quest 4D GTX hiking boots (http://www.rei.com/product/780681/salomon-quest-4d-gtx-hiking-boots-mens). I like them a lot for the most part, perfect fit, fully waterproof, and great support.
I live in New England and most of my hiking consists of scrambling up rocks and scrambling down rocks. Mile after mile of rocks of all sorts of shapes and sizes. The boots are great because with their support, I can pretty much flop my legs and jog down a mountain carelessly and the boots essentially hold me up.
The problem with them is that they are fairly heavy at 2lbs 13oz (typical) and they're quite hot due to their Goretex lining. My feet run hot I'd say and they just feel like they're baking in there.
It seems the forum favors trail runners and they sound like they'd be amazing on a nice trail (ahem out west :P), but how do they work when it gets really rocky? Is there enough sole stiffness? Do you ankles just get stronger? I'd imagine you have to change your technique and start being more careful with foot placement? Is it worth it?
I'm looking at Salomon XA and La Sportiva Wildcats which I can find locally.
Thanks!

