Topic

goretex socks to prevent dirt from getting to your feet?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) goretex socks to prevent dirt from getting to your feet?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Kevin Burton
    BPL Member

@burtonator

Locale: norcal

I have been looking at some of the ultralight trail runners and tested a pair a couple weeks ago.

The toe area has VERY thin material and lots of fine dust powder went through the shoe and that evening my feet were filthy.

It would be nice to find a pair of ultra thin socks, like gore tex socks and then wear them over my main socks to prevent my feet from getting dirty.

This would FURTHER allow the shoe to go even lighter with material since I no longer have to worry about dust.

And lighter material means the shoes dry quicker! Which is a clear win!

Goretex socks also seem to be a win in that I can walk through streams without getting my feet wet. Some reports were saying that a small amount of water gets through but your feet are WAY drier this way.

Thoughts?

James DeGraaf
    BPL Member

@jdegraaf

Locale: Bay Area

instead of fighting to keep your feet dry, maybe you should find a way for them to dry super fast. Sandals? Then when your feet get dusty from the trail, walk through the next stream and your feet get cleaned! No more need to fight against the dirt/dust.

Problem solved. :)

(All of this is intended to be sarcastic)

-James

Kevin Burton
    BPL Member

@burtonator

Locale: norcal

What's really need are high profile boots.. Something that goes all the way up to the calves. Something about 1/2 inch thick so that they keep the water out.

I'm sure I can get something less than 5 lbs.

(sarcasm)

Jason G
    BPL Member

@jasong

Locale: iceberg lake

Just change your socks at lunch and walk in every stream you can (before 4pm) to wash the dirt out.. I personally like hiking with wet shoes/socks. its like AC for your hot, swollen feet. just as long as its relatively warm out (65*+) and its earlish in the day.

CW
    BPL Member

@simplespirit

Locale: .

Is this complete sarcasm? Or meant to be serious?

I've used GTX socks during winter in combo with plain mesh trail runners and tall gaiters. The combo works far better in those conditions than a GTX shoe/boot. Otherwise, there's absolutely no reason to not have wet and/or dirty feet. Just clean them and dry them out every so often (usually in camp before bed).

Terry Sparks
    Spectator

@firebug

Locale: Santa Barbara County Coast

Ditch the pack and buy a surf board.

Nick Gatel
    BPL Member

@ngatel

Locale: Southern California

Dirty feet just go with the territory. GoreTex socks are HOT, except in winter.

If it is still a big problem for you, you might want to wear silk liner socks under your regular socks.

Dirty feet are the last thing I worry about on a trip.

Justin Baker
    BPL Member

@justin_baker

Locale: Santa Rosa, CA

Gore tex socks will be very hot/sweaty and they will wear out fast with heavy use.

John Finney
    BPL Member

@guavarex

Locale: Zürich, Switzerland

I have tried the Gore-Tex socks, and even the thinnest capture too much heat, promoting blisters.

With trail runners with mesh uppers, I find that a lightweight set of gaiters (mine are eVent shorties, but probably Dirty Girl are probably better for purpose) do a good job of keeping out most of the dirt and grit without being too hot.

As others above, I recommend shaking out shoes and socks at lunch.

Finally, I applaud the stomping through streams to relieve heat (it feels great), but if there is dirt built up it does turn to mud.

Sara Marchetti
    BPL Member

@smarchet

Swiftwick is the sock you are looking for.

I think your thinking is all wrong about Goretex socks. Maybe in the the winter. What you really want is a shoe that weeps water quickly (e.g. New Balance MT110) and a wool sock that wicks moisture away from your feet and dries quickly (e.g. Merino Wool). With this type of setup your shoes will dry out very fast.

On another note, you've may have seen on other posts that I'm a big fan of putting petrolium jelly on my feet to reduce the chances of blisters (i'm a trail runner / fastpacker). This has the added benefit of keeping the moisture away from my feet and channeled into my socks. Works like a charm.

Fred eric
    BPL Member

@fre49

Locale: France, vallée de la Loire

my personnal experience is my feet can stand being wet for days but if i get dirt during the day the abrasion against my skin is painful and i get blisters

last year i did the TGO challenge in Scotland with a pair of trail shoes : mizuno wave and xsocks merinos.
    i used hydropel for 2 weeks before and during the 2 weeks hike.
    my feet were always wet during the day, but i had a dedicated pair of dry wool socks for the night
    i was walking 10-12h / day
    having no blister for at least five years i didnt bring anything to treat them.

from day 2 i started having blisters
    from day 4 i had about 10/ foot that were exploding and reforming every day, and i was able to get some compeed
    day 8 one foot started to swell and was hot, i had to cut open my shoe to walk up to a village the day after to see a doctor.
    i walked with antibiotics from day 9 to 14
    my feet took 6 months to look as they were before the hike.

So for this year TGO i was VERY careful about my feet :
    if there was a stream near my camp i went barefoot in them a few minutes to cool them after the day hike
    otherwise i cleaned them and my liner socks every evening
    i used "fingers" feelmax liner socks with goretex socks
    i used saucony progrid shoes

i got only 2 blisters in 14 days

my feet were never dry BUT it prevented dirt from walking in mud / peat etc.. to get against my skin

Travis Leanna
    BPL Member

@t-l

Locale: Wisconsin

Yep, I'd stay away from GTX in anything but winter. Dirt really won't hurt anything (unless there's so much that it is acting as an abrasive against your skin). A damp camp towel is usually sufficient to wipe down dirty feet in camp, or you can change into a pair of socks dedicated for sleeping if your goal is to keep your bag clean. During breaks you can shake out dusty socks and shoes.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools