Topic

Fall weekend trips for two

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear Lists Fall weekend trips for two

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Jake S

@spags

After lurking here for about 10 months and acquiring various gear, I finally got annoyed enough of not being able to read the articles and subscribed. :) So, I figured I'd post my gear list to see what feedback you wonderful people could give me.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AmfX5qovFQoDdDVlaFRLeExrdDc3cFJYYzBzYVBGSmc&usp=sharing

I spend most my trips out with my wife, and I, being twice her size, generally carry our shared gear (which really amounts to the cookset, first aid kit, and tent). She also only has a 31L pack and after packing too much extra clothing doesn't have much room for anything other than her sleep set and food–which is really fine by me, but probably contributes a pound or more to my load compared to if I was solo. We're mostly in Eastern woodlands.

I don't want to say I want to get under 10 pound baseweight because I don't want to think a number is really that important, but I kinda do. :P

Also, our last trip brought lots of rain and everything in our first aid kit got soaked, even though it was in a little plastic bag. Even the tiny items (e.g. pills) organized into even smaller plastic bags were soaked. So any ideas for water proofing that would be helpful.

Dena Kelley
    BPL Member

@eagleriverdee

Locale: Eagle River, Alaska

I just pack everything into a garbage bag (I'm a fan of the heavier walled lawn bag) and I know a lot of people here use trash compactor bags. I line my pack with the plastic bag, stuff my gear in, roll the top down drybag style inside the pack, and secure it either with a twist and a knot, or with binder clips on each side. Then close up the pack. That keeps stuff dry in everything except submersion and the pack provides the abrasion resistance for the plastic bag.

James Marco
    BPL Member

@jamesdmarco

Locale: Finger Lakes

This is difficult.
    Overall, the weight looks good. I didn't see anything shared, though you have a lot of stuff that doesn't need repeating.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools