Topic

50L or so Packs under 18 oz

  • This topic is empty.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
Troy Ammons BPL Member
PostedAug 14, 2013 at 9:09 am

I now have a stripped Jam II that weighs 18 oz and what I am wondering is what other 35L – 50L packs are there out there that are 18oz or less.

The Terra Nova 35L is about 15-16oz. Not sure about others but I really would like something with a big mesh back pocket.

Also are there any 60-70 L packs in the 24oz area ??

Of course looking for something that rides well.
Also want a padded hip belt and a sternum strap.

Right now the Zpacks arc blast 60L at 16-17 oz looks like about as good as it gets.

For something SUL in the 35L area the Zpacks Zero looks to be as light as it gets.

I do have a MYOG 4000 CI frame pack out of sil and .5 oz cuben that weighs about 12.5 oz but it wont hold up to long term abuse IMO. Good for a few days out though.

Max load will be about 25#.

PostedAug 14, 2013 at 9:25 am

The Borah Gear Stealth is 54L and mine weighs 16.2 ounces w/ two hipbelt pockets. The hipbelt is lightly padded and it comes with a sternum strap. Mine is the Dyneema X version, the 140D would be a little lighter yet.

The MLD Prophet and Exodus both fit your criteria as well. The ULA CDT and SMD Swift are both just slightly over your weight cutoff.

Adam

PostedAug 14, 2013 at 9:55 am

My Arc Blast feels superior to my experience with a Jam, so I would plus one the Arc. Will never go back to frameless ….

M B BPL Member
PostedAug 14, 2013 at 12:48 pm

My personal opinion is that frameless is not desireable over 15lbs, when compared with the light framed option (Arc) out there today.

I like to carry 5-7 days food, even when I have 5-6 lb base. Im dont like carrying 19-20 lbs in a frameless pack for a day or three when there is an option out there. And, there is no reason to today either with the Arc.

What the market is missing,IMO is more packs in the 12-18oz range WITH light frames or stays designed to make those first couple days up to 20-22 lbs more comfortable.

There are plenty of 2lb + packs with stays
There are several 20oz- 32 oz packs with stays
There is only one current sub 20 oz with stay that Im aware of

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
Loading...