A few months ago I developed IT band pain. Orthopedic surgeon says my knees are fine, I just have an overuse issue. After 3 months of PT its better but can still be painful. Because I've been training for the JMT, I've not taken the time off that I should.
I'm scheduled to do the JMT in a week, solo, and I'm beginning to wonder if this is a smart idea! I've done it 3 times already – at ages 20, 50, and last summer when I turned 60. I've never had knee issues before so I have no experience for how this is going to play itself out.
My training hike after work today – 6 miles/2000' gain – just felt awful. Last summer I started with plantar faciiitis and was able to walk through it and was ok. I don't think an IT band issue gets better when you do 18 mile/4000' days??
I see the PT again tomorrow to get his thoughts. I wonder if others here have had IT band issues and have experience with trying to hike through it.

