Topic

Best over-nighter in the Adirondacks?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Trip Planning Best over-nighter in the Adirondacks?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Phillip Tatti
    Spectator

@realchemist

Locale: Adirondacks

Im looking for a good overnighter in the adirondacks. ~25 miles max. As any of the locals know, the trails are quite rough usually so marathon trips are not an option. Plus my partner and I are just getting back into the swing of things :)

A couple weeks ago, I hiked from the lodge, past Lake Colden, and up to the Veldspar lean to. The next day we hiked up Skylight, Marcy, and then finished at the lodge. This was an excellent and scenic trip. I am thinking of hiking in from Keene on the Garden trail and doing Wolfjaw etc. Not opposed to some of the isolated peaks either.

Ideas?

James Marco
    BPL Member

@jamesdmarco

Locale: Finger Lakes

There is a real lot of hiking through the ADK's besides the high peaks. Many peaks can be day trips. Overnight? Assuming you mean two days of hiking, I would expect no more than 12-15 miles per day. The 'peaks are rugged climbs.

Wolfjaw is a nice trip. But the approach to Basin from Saddleback is a real rock climb. Avoid going the other way. From the Garden, the trail is pretty good till Johns Brook. The Wolfjaw lean-to has a fairly poor roof. Watch where you sleep. Gothics is also doable from there.

Have Fun! I expect you will find more peaks than you can possibly do in two days from there.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools