Topic

capers on the trail

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums Food, Hydration, and Nutrition capers on the trail

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Diane Pinkers
    BPL Member

@dipink

Locale: Western Washington

Since pickling is a form of preservation, do you think I could take capers out on the trail, 4-5 days in west Central Washington, and not have to worry about them? Or, should I dehydrate them first? I can't have dairy, and I learned from Laurie Ann's book to substitute capers for feta cheese in some circumstances, but I want to throw them into a salad that is made of already dehydrated ingredients.

Thanks

Marko Botsaris
    BPL Member

@millonas

Locale: Santa Cruz Mountains, CA

While I'm disappointing to learn your post is not about tricks you play on people on the trail, or about jumping around, I have extensive experience with the pickled kind. They will be fine if you drain them well and put them into a ziplock – probably for the indefinite future – months I'd say. If you want you could leave then out overnight to further dehydrate, and simply soak them for a bit before you use them. As you pointed out, the salt will preserve them pretty well.

I have some dehydrated pasta puttanesca from PackIt Gourmet, and now I'm thinking bringing some real capers along might be in order. Good idea!

Diane Pinkers
    BPL Member

@dipink

Locale: Western Washington

But eating in the woods is serious business, no games played here! ;-)

Sarah Kirkconnell
    BPL Member

@sarbar

Locale: Homesteading On An Island In The PNW

I have dried them:
    http://blog.trailcooking.com/2010/08/05/recipe-re-do-smoked-salmon-pasta/

I'd carry them though fresh if you wanted, just pack in brine. You can also find salt packed ones as well (much harder to find).

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools