Topic

West Walker River Crossing?

  • This topic is empty.
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
PostedAug 13, 2013 at 3:26 pm

Hi,

We're planning a loop from Leavitt Lake (Leavitt Jeep Trailhead) through to Leavitt Meadows. I was reading that it is necessary to ford the West Walker River, but I also read that there are some bridges. Does anyone know where the bridges are and whether the river is at all high this dry year or is it more like a puddle?

Thanks,

rhz

Paul Andronico BPL Member
PostedAug 13, 2013 at 5:53 pm

The Walker is normally running at 152 cfs on this date, and today it is at 39 cfs. Here is the link to current flow rate on the Walker:

http://waterdata.usgs.gov/nv/nwis/uv/?site_no=10296000&PARAmeter_cd=00065,00060

I was up there two weeks ago or so when it was running about 60 cfs, and it was already getting pretty low. I don't think you will have much trouble crossing.

The bridge I know about is a couple hundred yards downstream from the Leavitt Meadows trailhead/parking lot. There may be additional bridges upstream, but others will have to chime in for that info.

Have a good trip!

Paul

Bill Law BPL Member
PostedAug 23, 2013 at 11:58 am

There is a bridge at Walker Meadows. That's at the junction before Long Lakes.

The water wasn't too high when I was there early July. I crossed twice on logs upstream a few miles from that bridge.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
Loading...