Topic

MSR Aquatabs Water Purification Tablets

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums Food, Hydration, and Nutrition MSR Aquatabs Water Purification Tablets

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 posts - 26 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • Author
    Jeremy and Angela
    BPL Member

@requiem

Locale: Northern California

Yep; I'm guessing that's why the aquatabs say they don't do crypto. At first, I was thinking they were just another chlorine dioxide tab and that they decided to only give the shorter time.

James Couch
    Spectator

@jbc

Locale: Cascade Mountains

My understanding is that Aquatabs won't kill Crypto no matter how long you wait.

James Marco
    BPL Member

@jamesdmarco

Locale: Finger Lakes

wow that's one tough germ.

MSR aqua tabs don't kill Crypto, any idea where these nasty tough germs are found? only place I remember reading that Crypto was present was Olympic national park in Washington, but I didn't know I had to wait 4 hrs to kill them, I waited 30 mins and drank the water ;-)

Mamamia,
    The CDC has some info on it. Basically, it is found anywhere there is a possiblity of fecal contamination. Some people are asymptomatic. Any water in the USofA may have the bug. Chlorine does not generally kill it, it is highly resistant. At 60F, it takes about 4 hours to kill it using AquaMira. For long term use this can have it's own consequences, though, as do other chemical treatments. Any stream that has human contact, bathing, rinsing out underwear, swimming, etc is a potential infectious source. It is not deadly, just rather anoying. One of those things you would be better off avoiding.

Jerry Adams
    BPL Member

@retiredjerry

Locale: Oregon and Washington

"but I didn't know I had to wait 4 hrs to kill them, I waited 30 mins and drank the water"

which could take us back to "do you really need to treat water at all" : )

Eric Blumensaadt
    BPL Member

@danepacker

Locale: Mojave Desert

Gary D, Thanks for that clarification. MSR's site was not helpful regarding active ingredients or strength.

I have used Katadyn's Micropur tablets for years and had excellent results. I use them mainly in my hydration bladder at one tablet per liter of clear water. I fill the bladder in the evening and the tablets have all night to work. Micropur IS good against cryptosporidium.

**STERIPEN ADVENTURER -> For fast purification of my belt carried bike bottle (where I keep my electrolyte drink) I use the Steripen. For UL backpacking the Steripen stays at home.

Viewing 5 posts - 26 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools